honeywell ignition module diagnostic code

Old 12-14-08, 09:49 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
honeywell ignition module diagnostic code

hello, i have a newer gas furnace that stopped working last night. i've been searching around online to hopefully DIY but i'm not getting real far. i saw a lot of info on hot surface ignitors (HSI) but i don't think i have that type of system. i do see a gray honeywell box in my furnace which i'm guessing is my ignition module. i can hear the system attempt to kick on but it shuts off. it retries a few minutes later. when i look at the diagnostic light on the honeywell box, it's blinking 3 times and then pauses and repeats... if i turn the furnace off with the switch and then turn it back on, when it attempts to start up the light is on steady. when it fails to start, it begins that 3 blinking light cycle. does this mean that ignition module is faulty? i have a service call in but no one is open today (Sunday). i would love to fix it soon as it's kind of cold. thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-15-08, 12:37 PM
A
wound up being the inducer. total cost:
- service charge - $67
- inducer 90+ - $652
- replacement hoses $61

so $781 thus far. does that sound right?

Old 12-15-08, 04:19 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The $67 does..........................

Old 12-15-08, 04:56 PM
A
care to expound, please? as soon as he opened it and listened to it attempt to start up, he said the motor was seized. a little bit later he said that what i needed was an inducer. he used an analogy of it being like a car exhaust which emits a trace amount of water and basically rusts from the inside out. he mentioned some piece that that motor was attached to inside the furnace.. but that's where i got lost with all the jargon. but the motor part (i'm guessing that's the inducer) is what's bad and it sounds like whatever it connects too... maybe? he also showed me the hoses which have some dry rot and cracking.

also, keep in mind that until now i was unfamiliar with the fact the furnace needs service. i've owned my home for a little over 3 years and although the furnace was relatively new, it hasn't been serviced in that time.

also, i've done some research on the company and they seem to have a good name and a lot of positive reviews. they have good local reviews and they're good with the BBB.

Old 12-15-08, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Parts cost

The price you paid is several times the average cost of an inducer. What is the make & model of the furnace?

Old 12-15-08, 07:09 PM
A
i can't find a specific make / model. the paper work shows manufactured by Internation Comfort Products Association. I googled it and found ICP USA

the user information manual is for "90+ Four Position Furnaces N9MP1, N9MP2, *9MPD, *9MPT & *9MPV"

if you have any info on this i would love to get it as this unexpected, costly repair is dipping into what was going to be a much needed vacation for my wife and i.

Old 12-15-08, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Icp

I have an ICP distributor close & will check with him tomorrow.

Old 12-15-08, 07:41 PM
A
much appreciated. they're coming sometime tomorrow to replace the part. i'll make sure to check back.

Old 12-15-08, 08:11 PM
A
if it helps, i just checked the inducer and got this number off of it:

ICP1013188F4

Old 12-16-08, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Busy today

Sorry I didn't get a chance to check today but I'll try tomorrow.

Old 12-17-08, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Inducer

The current part number is: 1172823 & would retail for somewhere around $225.

Old 12-17-08, 07:29 PM
A
thanks for the info. i called and talked to them. they refused to care much. they said that was their cost including install and 5 year warranty... wish this hadn't happened the day it was turning 25* so i could have had time to look around and figure it out on my own. such is life, i suppose. thanks so much for getting that info for me. i really appreciate it!

Old 12-18-08, 10:00 AM
E
For the fun of it, you could call up some other companies and tell them what your problem is, and ask for a rough estimate. Do not tell them you already had the work done and how much it cost you. You might only reveal you had someone out there to look at it and they confirmed that is what you need.

THEN, if their quotes are way lower than what you paid, I'd tell all your friends and relatives, and people you work with about this. You could also call up that company and tell them what you are doing, since more than likely you will never use them again anyway.

It is expected you are NEVER going to get DIY prices from pros. Obviously. They are running a business with all the even unseen costs. But there are prices within reason, also. Especially for things that are not all that involved. For all the times and speed of which I have had inducers out, and even apart!, I'd be a rich man by now.

Old 12-18-08, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Parts cost

It sounds like you ran into a flat rate company. With them the charge is X dollars to replace an inducer, regardless of how long it takes or how much the part costs. Replacing another part is Y dollars and so on. You can bet your bottom dollar (be it an x or y dollar) when they set up their price schedule, they based it on high priced & difficult to replace parts. Inexpensive &/or easy to replace variations of that part are pure profit.

Old 01-15-09, 02:00 PM
O
Question Similar Problem

I have a honeywell smart valve on my furnace. Sometimes my furnace refuses to kick in, until I turn the thermostat off, then back on. Then it will run as it should, sometimes for weeks, sometimes only for an hour or so. The smart valve seems to be blinking out a code 63. Does any know what this is trying to tell me? My furnace is recently out of warranty and I'm not very pleased with the local HVAC guys that did some warranty work on it last year. (they replaced the smart valve) Any help would be appreciated

Old 01-15-09, 04:24 PM
Hey outback--- I'd like to suggest you start a new thread with your problem. It can avoid a lot of confusion.

Thanks

Old 01-16-09, 10:20 AM
O
Hey Thanks for the advice, I'm new to this. If anyone has an answer to my question, I started it in a new post

Old 02-27-13, 03:31 PM
H
drafy inducer pricing

I quickly checked my flat rate book for this item and we would have charged approx 386.00 for the inducer including the labor plus a 65.00 diagnostic fee so I do think the price was high. About flat rate pricing, it is more fair than time and material pricing in most cases if done correctly especially if you have a service tech that is a little slower than another due to the fact the labor amount is based on the industry average amount of time it takes to perform the repair. I also dislike time and material pricing due to the fact that anyone who does not understand business overhead and having to make a profit flips out if they see your retail labor rate becuase they think you are putting it all in your pocket. There is nothing wrong with calling another company or two for an estimate on the repair to make sure you are not getting overcharged but keep in mind not everyone prices the same or provides the same service level.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: