Trane XV90 Board Burned

Old 12-15-08, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XV90 Board Burned

Hi Folks,

Newbie here hoping get some help with a problem I am having with my Furnace. It's about 7yrs old and has been problem free till today. I noticed no power on the thermostat and when I went down the unit was off. I check the fuse box and confirmed that the unit had power but still nothing. I noticed water all around the base of the unit and opened both panels. I immediately noticed order similar to a burned circuit board. Sure enough I saw the connection that connects the blower was burned and melted the red dip switches with it. Disconnected the blower connection from the board, powered the unit back on to see if any lights would come back on the board, but there was nothing. So needless to say I assume my board is done.

My questions is what would cause this to happen? Any ideas why I have water at the bottom of my unit? The drain hose is not clogged and not really sure where the water is coming from. Checked the upper portion of the unit and it seems dry...the blower itself and the top of it that mounted appear to be dry...

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Airwolph

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by airwolph View Post
I noticed water all around the base of the unit and opened both panels.
There was no sign of water inside the blower area?

Do you have a humidifier?

Sure enough I saw the connection that connects the blower was burned and melted the red dip switches with it. Disconnected the blower connection from the board, powered the unit back on to see if any lights would come back on the board, but there was nothing.
Did you replace the fuse? id' say the board needs to be replaced...

Did you have a power surge or a storm?

Old 12-15-08, 06:16 PM
Yes, there was water on the bottom of the unit on the inside when I took the panel off. Yes Have a humidifier and I suspected that may have been the original cause b/c I still had it in the closed position from the Summer.

There is a little car fuse like fuse connected between two cables that I looked at but the element in it appears to be intact.

AS for the power surge, its possible in this area we live in..we tend to get little outages here and there but don't think we had one last night.

I went and got a replacement board and replaced each wire one at a time...as I removed it, connected it to the new board and to my shock I got nothing...the machine is so quite and just don;t know what it could be now.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-15-08, 07:38 PM
The board is still dead? (no Green LED light)

did you press the blower door switch?

If non above, then cehck for power on the incoming junction box, and then go down and check for power at the transformer.

Old 12-16-08, 08:59 AM
thanks....confirmed power was there, but not getting to the board. turns out Trane has a transformer for the board but tucked in tight where you could barely see it..any how turns out the transformer was gone as well so replaced it to and now up and running.

not 100% sure what cause the failure, but we suspect that because my humidifier was not in the open position but set for the temp for this time of year there was some water run off that made it way into the unit somewhere causing condensation which triggered a series of failures.