Trane XE90 Blower Problem

Old 12-15-08, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XE90 Blower Problem

Hi all,

I have a Trane XE90 Direct Vent Gas Furnace model TUX120C960A manufactured September 1994. It was here when we bought the house in 1996 and has been relatively trouble free.

We had central air added several years ago and I noticed last summer that the furnace blower was not shutting off.

Now that cooler weather is here the furnace would not turn on. The LED was flashing red three times indicating a pressure switch problem. The HVAC guy said that the length of the exhaust pipe (48' of 3" pipe was too long) but we haven't had a problem before. Intake and exhaust pipes seem to be clear. He replaced the pressure switch but the problem persists. I thought perhaps the thermostat was bad so I replaced that as well.

Problem still persists. However, if you turn the blower motor on manually with the thermostat the furnace runs properly. Of course, the blower then runs constantly.

I am going to shorten the exhaust pipe run this weekend but would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If this is a condensing type furnace, check to drain lines for any water blockage. If the pipes or trap get clogged, the condensate water backs up and can prevent the pressure switch from activating.

Old 12-15-08, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
If this is a condensing type furnace, check to drain lines for any water blockage. If the pipes or trap get clogged, the condensate water backs up and can prevent the pressure switch from activating.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure they're clear. Is there a way to override the pressure switch temporarily.

Old 12-15-08, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Temporarily - VERY temporarily - disconnect it from the furnace - and see. For certain CO emmissions!! , so do this only for quick test to see if length of exhaust pipe, or something inside that you do not realize, is causing. Do not go off and do something else after test, and forget!!!!

Old 12-17-08, 05:14 AM
I'm just thinking. If there was a problem with the pressure switch, the furnace would not come on at all when you set the fan to manual on the thermostat.

I'm told that when you turn up the heat on the thermostat that the blower comes on before the furnace ignites. It seems that the thermostat is sending the signal to the furnace and the blower is not turning on.

Joe

Old 12-22-08, 05:14 AM
Saturday I reseated all of the wires that plug into the circuit board in the furnace and it's run properly ever since. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks.