Pilot light is on, burners not on (Holly Mfg. Co. wall heater)

Old 12-17-08, 11:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light is on, burners not on (Holly Mfg. Co. wall heater)

hi. I have what appears to be a very old Holly Manufacturing Co. "Narrowall Model" gas wall heater. The pilot light is on, but the burners don't fire up. Also, not only is the pilot lit, but about an inch or so down the pipe, there are also two big flames coming out. There is a valve with ON and OFF positions, but no PILOT position. There also does not seem to be a button or nozzle that you hold down while lighting the pilot like on other heaters I have used. I don't know how to get the heater on. Any ideas, please? The next appointment for the gas co to come out to look at it is Jan. 5! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-08, 09:52 AM
If no work has ever been done on your furnace, I would guess it has a PG-1 pilot generator. Hopefully the flame you see is because the pilot is partially blocked by dust and the flame is burning from primary air opening. The pilot (if I'm correct) is round and about 3" in lenght with little tits (can't think of a better word) sticking up in a circle. Check where you see the flame and hopefully you will notice a little opening. Blow air in there and it should clear it up. Or you may have a gas leak on a fitting.

Old 12-18-08, 11:57 AM
Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know.