No gas

Old 12-16-08, 02:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No gas

I have an Armstrong furnace and everything is working except the gas will not come on. The exhaust fan runs, the glow stick glows and then no gas. The glow stick stops and then tries again, but still no gas. I've talked to two ex-heat and air guys and they both said either the electrical board or the gas valve. I've replaced both, still no gas. I'm at a loss. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 12-16-08, 04:11 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jon V.
I've talked to two ex-heat and air guys and they both said either the electrical board or the gas valve. I've replaced both, still no gas.
Did you tell them this? And that they owe you $300?

Has anyone checked the glow stick that it has low enough ohms? And that it is positioned right? If it is an actual glow stick, rather than a glow coil, it may be a universal retrofit, and the stick is not in the correct location, because the adapter parts used were not exactly correct.

Or that you are not getting good gas flow to the valve. (Was there any disruption in gas service?, and do you have any other gas appliances in the house that are still working?)

Or the burner needs cleaning by the glow stick.

Old 12-16-08, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No Gas

Any other gas appliances & if so do they work ok? When the ignitor glows, hold a BBQ lighter in front of a burner. Does the burner light? Do all the burners light? Natural or LP? Is the gas valve correct for the type of gas?

Just read the original post again. Some Armstrongs used a SmartValve. Does the number on the gas valve start with SV?

Old 12-17-08, 06:53 AM
J
First, thanks for replying.
It is LP. I have a cooking stove and water heater that use the same and both are working. This is the first time I've tried to use the furnace this winter. It is a Smart Valve. I haven't changed any parts around or the position of the glow stick. It is all still original. The unit is about 10 yrs. old. After looking at it, it is just two thin wires that glow, not really a "stick".
I will try the lighter and see if it lights. No disruptions in gas service.

Old 12-17-08, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Smart Valve

With a SmartValve, the glowing ignitor does not light the main burners directly. It lights a pilot which in turn lights the main burners. If the pilot is not lighting, which sounds like may be the case, I would start by cleaning the pilot orifice.

Old 12-17-08, 03:11 PM
J
You're right, the pilot isn't lighting. I will check the orifice and see what happens.

Old 12-18-08, 06:25 AM
J
Unbelievable. A simple needle fixed the problem. You were right on the money. The orifice was blocked. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-18-08, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Needle

Hope you didn't enlarge the orifice. If you did the pilot will be too big & burn dirty. Keep an eye out for soot on the pilot burner or near it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: