Gas Floor/Wall Furnace Repair

Old 12-20-08, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Floor/Wall Furnace Repair

I have an old 1949 Grove floor/wall gas furnace that has a pilot light but does not fire when I turn the valve on. I have tried cleaning the pilot light with a extended length wire brush but no improvement. I can see a flame but not in the right location. I can light the top of the pilot unit manually with a match and the furnace will fire. I probably need to access the pilot unit to clean it and tighten the fittings but it is located 2 feet away from the floor level between the heating baffles which are 4 inches apart just out of reach. How do I gain access to the pilot unit? From beneath the house or ? Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-08, 05:58 PM
You call it floor/wall furnace..I think you have a floor furnace. It sounds like you may have a PG-1 pilot generator type pilot. The flame you see burning below MAY be the pilot is plugged and the gas is burning from the primary air opening. You will have to crawl under the house to clean the pilot. Probably need to remove the pilot for cleaning if you encounter difficulty cleaning in place.

Old 12-20-08, 06:10 PM
If you have to go under the house to work on it, you might just as well replace the thermopile also.

Old 12-21-08, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll have to get my overalls on and start crawling.