Furnace Trouble Shooting - Pilot will not light

Old 12-20-08, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Trouble Shooting - Pilot will not light

My old Nat. Gas Furnace - Gaffers & Sattler model AC125-5 - input BTU 100,000, Bonnet Cap btu 125,000, was going to be replaced but, that is delayed. Maybe I can fix it before I toss it. It has been off for a year. #1 problem - pilot will not light - no gas at the pilot when button is depressed. The supply line is good, it is plugged into AC power. Where do I start testing, cleaning and/or replacing parts?

Thanks,
BC

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-08, 02:59 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Are you sure all manual valves in the gas line before the furnace are open? Is the pilot supplied through a combination gas valve or is it from a separate pilotstat valve? A few pictures might help. To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Old 12-20-08, 02:59 PM
is it a standing pilot model?

Old 12-24-08, 03:07 AM
No photos yet. I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the pilot tube. The orifice was plugged. I now have a working pilot. It appears that the pilot flame is split, going in 2 directions. One goes directly out of the orifice, the other is 10 degrees to the right to heat the thermocouple. The flame is mostly blue.

Old 12-24-08, 07:30 AM
Sounds like you got it figured out!?
Do the burners light?

Old 12-24-08, 07:00 PM
Haven't tried the burners yet. I'm going to change the filters and clean the accumulated dust, rust, soot and old matches before trying the burners.

Old 12-24-08, 10:19 PM
Heating Help

Take apart the line going to the pilot at the gas valve, then depress the pilot plunger if gas comes out you know the pilot is plugged up.