Chemical smell from central heater's chimney

Old 12-21-08, 11:37 AM
Chemical smell from central heater's chimney

Hi all,

I have an outdoor natural gas central heating unit (which also has a built-in AC). On the side of this large box-like unit is a small vent that outputs hot air/gasses. The odor of these gasses has a VERY strong "chemically" smell. Is this normal, or might there be excessive unburnt natural gas mixing with the normal heater vent exhaust? And can this be dangerous?

Thank you!

-Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 05:29 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I used to go to a local outdoor pool and every once in awhile there would be a release of natural gas when the pressure reached a certain point in the building that housed the indoor pool. It was a nasty smell. That might be what you are smelling. It's not good to breathe. That's for sure.

Old 12-26-08, 07:30 AM
The answer to the central heating smell.

To save anyone who may read this thread in the future: the smell from the vent was caused by poisonous gasses due to a cracked combustion chamber in the gas furnace.
There are only two solutions to this problem (that is, if you lived through the carbon monoxide poisoning that this issue causes): replace the combustion chamber (>$1500), or get a new central heating unit (>$4200).
PS: I'm really somewhat surprised that this gas heating furnace forum didn't know the answer to this critical life and death problem...

-Bill

Old 12-26-08, 12:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did you notice an increase in your natural gas usage/bill ? That would have been the only way I would have guessed the answer.