Temporary fix for a Home Oil tank leak?

Old 12-23-08, 07:03 PM
Temporary fix for a Home Oil tank leak?

My oil tank has a slow leak. (I know I eventually need it fixed) But with it being the holidays, is there any thing that I can purchase that will slow or stop the leak for a few days until I can get someone out to replace the tank?

Also, I have just purchased almost a full tank of fuel that I would like to use up before i have it replaced. If there is no solutions happy to know that as well. Any help or insight you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Last edited by PeterHasaLeak; 12-23-08 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-08, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, no Pro here, but...

Is it a leak at a connection or some sort of crack or hole in the tank?

If its a crack of some sort, you could try some of the epoxy gas tank sealer as a TEMPORARY fix.

Old 12-24-08, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the tank itself is leaking its likely the first sign of pending rust thru and probably not repairable. Put a drip pan under it for the time being and don't fill it again till it is replaced. If its a fitting or valve, fix it.

Old 12-24-08, 09:39 AM
Wink

An emergency fix I have done on some 55 gallon old drums and a water heater is if the leak is not at a seam where they normally occur. If you have a pinhole what I have done as a temporary emergency fix is just to run a sheet metal screw into the hole where the leak is coming from (only drive the screw and as far as you need to do to stop the leak). Hopefully that could get you through the holidays and possibly even until your tank runs dry.

It would be best to get it repaired as soon as possible. If it leaks enough and if you have nosy or complaining neighbors they might sick some environmental group on you and make you dig up any land that might be contaminated. That could cost hundreds of dollars and possibly even tens of thousands of dollars.

There was a woman that broke a fluorescent light bulb; and she made the mistake of calling up the city and asking how to clean up the Mercury. She ended up with about a $2000 estimate and a bunch of bureaucrats trying to bully her around and a bunch of salesmen trying to sell her a bunch of services.

So if you already donít have it you might want to put a bucket or catch basin under your tank where the leak seems to be dripping.

Old 12-24-08, 10:25 AM
Often times the sheet metal screw just makes the hole bigger. Capture the drips if you can. If you can't, get a service tech there asap to patch or replace the tank. The last thing that you need is 275 gal. in the cellar.

Old 12-24-08, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, at least my response got more feedback going..lol

Old 12-24-08, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Leaky Tank

As others have said, put something under the tank to catch what's dripping. Nearly any company who installs tanks will have a pump to move the oil from one tank to another.