Central Heater/Air Blower Not Coming On

Old 12-24-08, 04:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

When I turn on the heater at the thermostat box, I hear & see the gas turn on on the furnace and then it lights up. But the blower never turns on in the house. This is the same situation when I turn on the central air from the thermostat. I hear & see the air conditioning unit outside turn on but the central blower in the house never blows the cool air. When I turn on the Auto-fan functions at the thermostat, nothing happens...no air from the ducts.

This is a rental that I'm trying to get rent ready. The previous tenant said everything worked when they left about a month ago. I'd like to avoid having to call a specliast for money saving reasons but will if I have no other choice. I'm completely new to furnace problems. Any specific advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-08, 04:42 PM
Suspect you need a blower motor, spin it and see if it spins free.

Old 12-24-08, 09:15 PM

Where would I locate the blower wheel? How would I try and spin it (e.g., with my hand?). Any tricks in doing this? Thanks.

Old 12-24-08, 10:09 PM
Heating Help

The blower motor is in the bottom compartment of your furnace. Take the bottom door off, the unit should shut off with a door safety switch, spin the wheel inside the large rounded metal box in front of you then press in the door switch. If the motor runs you just need a new capacitor, if it doesn't you either need a new motor or the power is not getting to the motor.

Old 12-25-08, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mike n View Post
, spin the wheel inside the large rounded metal box in front of you then press in the door switch.
Makimma,

Since you did not even know where to locate the blower wheel, we better not take for granted what Mike n's test does. The blower wheel, when you spin it a good one, needs to still be spinning when you push in on the door switch, so that there is not the load on the motor from trying to start it from a dead stop.