No hot air (the flame can not stay on)

Old 12-25-08, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question No hot air (the flame can not stay on)

I am new to this forum and I'd like to get some advice on the recent problem with my gas furnace:

It is a Rheem furnace and it suddenly stopped to blow warm air to my house in this harsh winter. I noticed when whenever the igniter is on, the main burner will light. I saw the flame is on, but only for a very short time! Then the system tries to repeat the process a few more times untill it gives up. I don't know what prevented the flames stay firing up. the valve problem?

Thanks a lot in advance. Meryy Christmas!

Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-08, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Does the blower come on at all? How long do the main burners stay lit? (Very short is not descriptive enough) Does this unit have a pilot lite that stays burning all the time, or does it spark or glow to light the pilot which then lights the main burners?
It may also light the main burners directly with a spark or glow type ignitor.

Don't know if any of the Pro's will be on today, but you should post the model numbers of the furnace as well.

Old 12-25-08, 07:07 AM
Find the flame sensor in the burner compartment. Usually on the opposite side from the ignitor. It will have a single wire going to it.

Remove the sensor and clean it with a fine sandpaper. reinstall and heat should fire normaly

Old 12-26-08, 02:53 AM
More info

Hi Gunguy45 & Ed-54,

thanks a lot for your quick responses! I never expected that I could get responses at all on Chrismas day. I am out of town right now (the hotel is warmer than home at this moment) so I can't post the model number right now. Here are some details I observed: wen I set my thermostat on heat, fan on auto and temperature stting a few more degrees above the room temperature, I can see and hear that the fan started. In about a minute, the igniter starts to glow and flames starts to fire but only for a short 1-2 seconds. After the flame disappeares the igniter glows again and flames fires up and disappeares again. The same process continues for 4-5 times until it gives up. The unit Does not have a pilot light that stays o all the time. Reading the manual, it does not recommend manually light up anything. The main burner is supposed to be fired up by the igniter that glows.

Ed-54, I will try your advice when I get home. I am eager to try any advice given the fact it is probably quicker for me to get the furnace working instead getting some handy man during the holidays. I just hope the problem is not too big for me to handle. I really know very ltle about furnace since it has been working until now.

Thanks again and your help is really appreciated!!!

Best,

Gary

Old 12-26-08, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Ok, sounds like Ed is on track, if it has no pilot and uses the igniter to directly start the burner, there has to be some sort of flame sensor.

Old 12-28-08, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys!

Hi Ed & Gunguy45,

I just got home and headed directly to the basement to try your suggestions. My wife and I figured our where the flame sensor will be but we didn't exactly how to reach it, take it off and sand it (there is a plate covering the main burner and we had a hard time to take the screws off). So we just tried to clean it with a cloth without removing the sensor and then started the furnace hoping for the best. To our delight, the flame started and kept on as we hoped.

I am so grateful to you on advising me the solutions. You are the best!

Thanks again!

Gary

Old 12-28-08, 08:13 PM
You are welcome. Glad you are warming up.

Sometimes those flame rods (sensors) can be a bear to get to.
Armstrong comes to mind.

Old 01-07-09, 06:45 PM
Guys,
I want to thank you as well. I had the exact same problem. Took out the flame sensor, cleaned it with fine sandpaper, put it back in, and it worked like a charm. Burners stay on like they are supposed to.
Thanks.