Furnace blower problem?!

Old 12-26-08, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace blower problem?!

Dear all, I am new to this site and recently I have some problem with my carrier heating system. The system is old and it was made in the 1980s. During this winter season, I bought a new ritetemp thermostat and it seems to control the heating system well until 2 days ago when the blower turns on for 5 minutes and off for 10 minutes. The cycle is like this: pilot light on and then the blower which is followed by the gas so that warm air start to come out. When the desired temperature was reached, the blower will turn off. But now, when the blower is turned on for 5 mins, it turns off by itself while the gas is still burning for a while and it turns off eventually. Then 10 mins later, the blower is turned on again followed by the gas and this cycle is coming on and off and the desired temperature will never reach. What seems the problem? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-08, 08:37 AM
Could be a few things. Could be a fan switch if this furnace has one or could be a blower board. But it sounds as if your blower motor may be shutting off on an internal overload. This will happen if you have a bad run capacitor or the motor bearings are getting tight and overworking the motor. A good way to check the bearings is to turn the power to the furnace off. Then reach into the squirrel cage and give it a spin. It should spin freely and easily. If it doesn't you need a motor.

Old 12-26-08, 09:01 AM
Thanks Skip. what is the best place to shop for central AC parts?

Old 12-26-08, 12:18 PM
Intermittent blower function

Hi, I'm a newbee here and am wondering if anyone has an answer for this situation. I have a Williamson 1454-14-3 oil fired hot air furnace equipted with a 02-731 burner.
The unit will run its normal cycle and then about 30 seconds to one minute after the blower shuts down it (the blower) will once again start and run for approx. 1 to 2 minutes.
It never did this before this heating season. I have had the unit serviced every year since new.
Everything else with the furnace appears to be functioning correctly.

Bobble

Old 12-26-08, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
bobble,

Have you installed a newer thermostat?

Old 12-26-08, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by donaldduckmoore View Post
Thanks Skip. what is the best place to shop for central AC parts?
If you have a graingers near you, you might try there.

Old 12-26-08, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by bobble40 View Post
Hi, I'm a newbee here and am wondering if anyone has an answer for this situation. I have a Williamson 1454-14-3 oil fired hot air furnace equipted with a 02-731 burner.
The unit will run its normal cycle and then about 30 seconds to one minute after the blower shuts down it (the blower) will once again start and run for approx. 1 to 2 minutes.
It never did this before this heating season. I have had the unit serviced every year since new.
Everything else with the furnace appears to be functioning correctly.

Bobble
Sounds as if you have residual heat building up in the furnace after it shuts down. This is caused by a faulty or mal-adjusted fan/limit switch. You need to locate the switch and see if you can adjust the blower shutoff setting to a lower temp.

Old 12-26-08, 09:21 PM
Skip, another question. When I switch to "FAN ON," I can hear a humming noise for 30 seconds and then stopped for a while and the humming noise comes back on without actually turning the blower. What happened?

Old 12-26-08, 09:39 PM
The hum you hear is the motor. when it goes quiet it is off on overload. The motor is either tight or has a bad start wwinding. You will need to replace the blower motor.