magic chef MG-80-4 not working

Old 12-26-08, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
magic chef MG-80-4 not working

Well it is christmas time and I am at the inlaws stuck cleaning up someone elses stupidity.

the mother in laws sister thought she could solve the heating problem by replacing the old T-stat with a ritetemp 8085c. Well the dumb*** took all the wires out of the old T-stat without writing down where they went to install them into the new one. So here I am, grrr...

here are the wire colors
red
white
brown
yellow
Blue

the pilot light is lit but the main burner does not kick on when the T-stat is set above room temp.

the fan does not come on when you turn it to "Fan on" with the switch.

I dont think this thing is controlling anything in the house because the dummy didn't wire it correctly.

I don't even know how she came up with the solution of a new T-stat. It may not even be the problem, she basically used shot gun troubleshooting.

The mother in law said the heat hasn't worked in a few months with the old T-stat but never had anyone come out to check the system.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-08, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire colors

Open the wiring panel on the furnace & see which wire is connected to which terminal. The terminal strip should be marked R, W, G, Y, & C.
R is power, W is heat, G is fan, Y is cooling, C is common (needed on some stats but not all).