Condensate trap issues in 90% furnace

Old 12-27-08, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensate trap issues in 90% furnace

I have an Aire-Flo 90% furnace. It is equipped with the condensate tubes etc.

2 years ago we had a problem with the condensate trap (it would not clear the stored water in it) the rest of the hoses and the PVC tubing that goes out of the furnace were all clear. When I pulled it out I noticed it had a lot of black sediment in it (looked like small coffee grounds), I purchased a new trap and it was fine the rest of the year.

A few weeks ago I removed it again to clean it out and flushed it with running water (there was again a lot of sediment in it). But now I think it may be acting up again.

I have noticed that our digital thermostat clicks to call for heat and then the furnace acts like it is starting but does not ignite. It does this a few times and then finally it will ignite.

I opened the access door and pulled the hose that goes from the motor to the trap and about 1/2 cup of water poured out. Now when the thermostat calls for heat the furnace starts and ignites on the first time everytime.

This trap thing seems to be a huge problem - any tips on how to clean this thing out for real?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-08, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is designed for AC condensate drains, but might work for the furnace condensate drain, depending on the requirements.

To clean you pop the access caps and use the included brush to clean the trap.

- EZ Trap - Condensate Traps, Overflow Switches and Pumps

Old 12-28-08, 03:50 PM
I don't think that will work because my trap has 3 hoses going to it - 1 large, 1 medium and 1 small.

Old 12-30-08, 10:32 AM
Your condensate line leaving the trap must run down-hill all the way from the trap to the drain or you will develop an air bubble that will keep the trap from draining. Alternatively, you can place a tee (and elbow if needed) in the line after your trap and run a pipe or hose up above the level of the trap. Works like a vent for a sewer line so that a blocking air bubble will not form. Make sure the tee is after the trap so products of combustion will not escape into your living space.