Trane XE 80 gas furnace

Old 12-28-08, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XE 80 gas furnace

I have read what I could in the forums and I have seen this furnace has very known issues. Unfortunately I am a new homeowner and do not understand all the jargon yet.

My furnace starts up as if the burners are going to come on, but then the blower starts and blows cold air through the house. Oddly enough this only seems to happen in the morning hours and works fine the rest of the day.

I found the diagnostics lights and flashes 9 times for check igniter. I have checked all the connections and made sure all were clean. Any help on my next steps besides spending a fortune for a service tech to come out?

Thanks in advanced!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-08, 12:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Morning only

Are you using a programable thermostat or set the temperature lower at night manually? Natural or propane gas?

Old 12-28-08, 12:28 PM
Natural Gas. Manual Thermostat, left at 68degrees all the time.

Old 12-28-08, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tough One

Not being familiar with Trane equipment, can you tell me if the ignition is via a spark to pilot or hot surface ignitor (glows brightly before burners fire)?

Old 12-28-08, 12:41 PM
I do believe its a spark ignition. No glowing surfaces I can find, and I know there is no pilot light. I killed the fuse for it, unhooked all the wires to it and where they go to the board to clean with no luck.

Old 12-28-08, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Spark Ignition

If it is spark ignition, I would start by removing & cleaning the pilot assembly.

Old 12-28-08, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by AdamBailey View Post
I do believe its a spark ignition. No glowing surfaces I can find, and I know there is no pilot light. I killed the fuse for it, unhooked all the wires to it and where they go to the board to clean with no luck.
I believe your XE 80 furnace has a hot surface ignitor, which is probably burned out. Proper diagnostic procedure would be to measure the resistance across the ignitor and determine if it's an open circuit --- you can probably observe a crack in the ignitor as an alternative way of diagnosing the problem.