Riello 40/F5 Burner Nozzle Change

Old 12-28-08, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Riello 40/F5 Burner Nozzle Change

Hi,
After changing heating oil delivery company, I have no longer a qualified mechanic who works on Reillo burners. I change the oil filter on oil tanks and clean/vacuum the furnace (Neca M-6) every year and just did so today.
When I pulled the burner out of the furnace, I noticed carbon build-up on turbulator disc and some heavy oil build-up on ignition electrodes. Is it normal or should I be concerned that burner needs some adjustment other then changing the nozzle (Delavan .85/60*W) and setting the electrodes? I am planing to do the work tomorrow for the first time.
How should I proccede and what shoud I be looking for and be concerned about?
I have the Riello Residential Manual that came with the furnace to guide me but would like to get some opinions and directions from experienced technician.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-08, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Riello

You will also need to clean or replace the screen in the pump.
Make sure the nozzle is the one spec'd for your furnace. Clean the turbulator with a fine wire brush & a solvent being sure to get the slots CLEAN.

Old 12-29-08, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will do that, but as far as the pump screen is concerned, I had it replaced about year ago (after at least five years of use), so I thought I would skip it this time.
Just one more question. After removing burner cover to check what I have to do to get to the nozzle, it looks like the oil line has to be disconnected in order to pull out drawer assy with nozzle adapter. Could you please confirm that. I know I will have to close the oil valves before disconnecting the oil line on the pump. My skimpy manual does not even mention enything about this. How much oil is going to leak out and will it have any impact on restarting the furnace?

Old 12-29-08, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nozzle Removal

You do not have to disconnect the lines coming into the pump. The only copper tube you need to disconnect is the one supplying the nozzle.

Old 12-29-08, 06:04 PM
Yes I understand that. I'll post the result when I am done.

Old 01-06-09, 02:05 PM
Update:
I just finished burner tuneup, everything went well. I also replaced pump screen as you guys suggested and I was glad I did. It was quite dirty, concidering it was done a year ago. It was little tricky to keep new O-ring from falling out of place before reattaching pump cover.
One thing I noticed, pump cover was attached with curved arrow pointing up, instead of horizontal as shown in burner manual. I put it back the same way as I found it, but wander if it makes any difference which way it should be. The pump cover is square and screws fit in any position.
One more question:
furnace, when hot, is cycling on and off quite frequently and difference btwn HI and LOW temperature setting (box located on top of furnace) is usually 10 to 20*F.
There is a wheel to set HI limit (set at about 185*F) but I could not figure out how to set low cut-off.
Can the temperature span be increased manually?

Old 01-06-09, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pump Cover

I don't think it makes any difference but I'm not sure. There should also, on one edge of the cover, be two arrows or triangles pointed in opposite directions. Those arrows or triangles should be at the bottom of the pump where the fuel line(s) connect.

What make & model of aquastat is on the boiler?

Old 01-06-09, 05:44 PM
Triangles/arrows are on the side not at the bottom of the cover plate. That's the way it was before I changed the fuel pump screen and I put it back the same way.
Furnace seems to be working fine.......except for the frequent cycling. I would like to make sure if the position of the cover plate makes any difference.

Aquastat Relay is HONEYWELL, model/type: L8148A 1090.

Old 01-06-09, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cover

If it's been like that for a year or more with no ill effects, I wouldn't worry with it.

Honeywell lists the L8148A-1090 as obsolete & doesn't show any specs on it. Some of the 8148s had adjustable differentials while others were fixed some at 7 & others at 15.
Sorry I can't tell you more than that. If you take the cover off there might be a second wheel where you can adjust the differential. Honeywell suggests the L7224U as a replacement. It has an adjustable differential from 5 to 20.