Replace Beckett AFII-150?

Old 12-29-08, 02:17 PM
Replace Beckett AFII-150?

I have a Buderus boiler with a Beckett AFII-150 burner. I recently had a tech out to work on it (burned wire in the control box--$410 for 4 minutes work and I gave him the crimp on connector to put on). He says that the bearing on the motor is going bad (I figured as much from the whine). I also know that the ignitor electrodes are about shot and the locating stud on the burner assembly is broken off. He is quoting about $700 in parts and three hours labor to fix things, or $950 parts and three hours to put in a whole new burner assembly. In the 13 years I've owned the unit I've replaced the fuel pump (has a 20' lift and so takes a beating), the transformer, the nozzle, and 5 sets of igniter electrodes.

The tech agrees with you that the AFII is a lousy unit. The question is, what would be the best burner to replace it with? And why? And any specific models to either get or avoid? He mentioned both Beckett and Riello, then proceeded to say bad things about both of them. We are heating a 5,000 square foot house (radiant floors) and domestic hot water. The boiler sits in its own room with vents to the outside, and feeds into a 6" flue that has about an 8' vertical rise (the boiler's on the second floor). One other thing--we'll be putting the house on the market this spring

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Bob Van Valkenburgh

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-08, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Af-ii

With the high static of the AF-II & the fact is has a small diameter air tube, I think I would suggest the Riello but I don't know if it will pull oil that high.

Old 12-29-08, 07:01 PM
Replacement burner

Any specific model of Riello burner? In a previous thread, the BF series was mentioned as a replacement for an AFII-150 (I assume I would use the BF 5), but I have no idea what a balanced flue is or what it does.

Bob

Old 12-30-08, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Riello

For your application I would suggest a BF-5. The BF series is made for sealed combustion, bringing air in from outdoors directly to the burner. Even without bringing in the outdoor air, the BF series seems to be much quieter than their regualr 40 series.

Old 01-09-09, 11:12 AM
Riello and fuel lift

I spoke with the Riello tech support (they were closed over the holidays) and they said that the maximum fuel lift on their burners was 11', so it looks like they are out of the picture, since my burner is on the second floor. I guess I'll have to rebuild the AFII.

Thanks for your help.

Bob