tempstar 5000 not heating blower will not shut off!!!!!

Old 12-30-08, 11:19 AM
Question tempstar 5000 not heating blower will not shut off!!!!!

I have a Tempstar 5000 the blower(main) will not shut off even when I turn the thermostat off. The gas does not ignite and I can only shut the blower off by turning off the breaker????

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-08, 12:54 PM
Talking

took apart the igniter{self-igniting no pilot gas furnace} cleaned it ,cycled the gas valve, and reset the programmable thermostat turned the breaker back on, the furnace ignited cycled and shut backoff on its own?!? Is there one of these parts that I should replace because it is maybe going bad??? The furnace seems to short cycle when heating{turns on and runs for 5 minutes shuts off before reaching temp and then turns back on a couple of minutes later keeps doing this until it reaches temp} I have a very good carbon monoxide/gas detector that is very sensitive{digital readout reads when someboy smokes cigarette in the room} so doesn't seem to be venting problem and the unit is in the basement near a window with an intake vent so is recieving plenty of fresh air for combustion. Any input appreciated!!!!!Beer 4U2

Old 12-30-08, 01:06 PM
May be cycling on the high limit. This is usually caused by a dirty filter or a/c coil.

Old 12-31-08, 09:36 AM
If I understand you correctly the furnace does not light and the blower runs all the time. That sounds like an open manual-reset limit switch. Look for something that looks like this:

http://www.qcsupply.com/ProductImages/20620LG.jpg

somewhere near the burners. If it is an upflow furnace it probably has one of these in the blower compartment or on the blower housing also. Reset the switch by pressing on the button. You should hear a "click" when it resets.

However please note: If a manual reset limit trips it almost always means the furnace is overheating. You will need to diagnose and correct that problem, especially if the limit trips again. This could be a serious safety issue.

Old 01-11-09, 06:06 PM
Wink

was away for a little yes I pressed the reset on the limit switch cleaned the burners and replaced the thermostat furnace has been back operating for 2 weeks now and hopefully all is well now!!!!