Furnice Not Kicking On

Old 12-31-08, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Furnice Not Kicking On

I have a Frigidaire high efficiency furnace Model G6RC120-C-20. The furnace will not kick on, but when I jiggle the wires going to the control board, I can hear a relay click and then an internal fan kicks on and then will shut back down. After a few more jiggles, it will eventually fire all the way on after running the internal fan. I need help in figuring out what is starting to fail. Hoping I don't have to change out the control board. The board is Nordyne 624631-A. All help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 04:49 AM
Sounds like a bad connection on the board or a cracked solder joint on the board. I would power down the furnace at the breaker, remove the board and inspect all the solder joints. If all looks good check all your connector to insure they are good and when you land them back on the board be sure they are tight.

Old 12-31-08, 04:53 AM
Same Problem

Well, sorry to say but I can not help you because I have the same exact problem!!! The fire egnites but my blower does not kick on. It will ignite 5 times for a period of about 5 seconds and the blower for some reason does not kick on. It will then shut off for about 5 minutes and go through the same cycle. I have an Air Ease Furnace and hopefully someone can talk us through it. Good Luck.

Old 12-31-08, 07:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mkojak View Post
I have a Frigidaire high efficiency furnace Model G6RC120-C-20. The furnace will not kick on, but when I jiggle the wires going to the control board, I can hear a relay click and then an internal fan kicks on and then will shut back down. After a few more jiggles, it will eventually fire all the way on after running the internal fan. I need help in figuring out what is starting to fail. Hoping I don't have to change out the control board. The board is Nordyne 624631-A. All help is greatly appreciated!

I'd start by measuring the 120 and 24 volt power being supplied to the circuit board. You want to determine whether the board is getting the power it needs to function or whether the defect is erratic supply voltages, and if so from where.

Another way I might test for this would be to disconnect the wires supplying voltage to the circuit board and connect jumper wires directly to the circuit board so that I was sure the circuit board has good power. If the circuit board then works OK, I'd check for why it's not getting power from the regular wiring. If it still works erratically, I'd look for additional ways to test for a defective circuit board.

However, doing that kind of test may not be a good idea for a person with marginal skills to try. Too many opportunities to screw things up.

Old 12-31-08, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Well, sorry to say but I can not help you because I have the same exact problem!!! The fire egnites but my blower does not kick on. It will ignite 5 times for a period of about 5 seconds and the blower for some reason does not kick on. It will then shut off for about 5 minutes and go through the same cycle. I have an Air Ease Furnace and hopefully someone can talk us through it. Good Luck.

I'm supposing you have a furnace with a hot surface ignitor that glows white hot before the gas turns on and the main burners light.

I'm supposing that the blower you say is turning on is a small motor usually above the burners (called the inducer motor) and not the main fan motor located in the fan compartment.

I'm supposing that when the thermostat calls for heat, the inducer motor turns on and comes up to speed, then the ignitor gets white hot, you hear a click from the gas valve and the main burners light for about five seconds and then the burners shut off.

After five minutes it repeats that cycle.

Odds are that the circuit board isn't verifying that the main burner gas has lit, and is therefore turning the main burner gas off.

Usually that check is performed with the aid of a flame sensor which is located on the other side of the furnace from the hot surface ignitor, and is a small rod sticking up into the burner flames. The rod has a wire coming from the bottom and leading back to the circuit board. Sometimes that rod accumulates oxides on it which prevent the flame from getting to the rod itself, causing the circuit board to shut off the gas.

Correct diagnostic procedure is to verify that theory by measuring the DC microamps passing through along the wire from the flame sensor when the burner is lit, but most people just remove the flame sensor and clean it with a wire brush or a little sanding with fine sandpaper ---it doesn't take much.

Old 01-03-09, 10:29 AM
Unhappy York Diamond 80 Furnace Not Working

I have a very similar problem to what has been described in this thread. I have York Diamond 80 apprx 15yrs old (model# P2MP D16N 09601D). I live in Missouri so it is quite cold now.

It often takes 3 or 4 ignition cycles before the burners actually light. During this process, the heat induction fan is running, the ignition coil lights up and I can hear the gas begin flow, but the ignition coil fades out without the burners lighting. Again, this occurs for 3-4 cycles, then (usually) the burners will light and stay lit long enough for the blower to begin. Once the blower starts, we get normal warm air flow...that is until the unit cycles down. This usually occurs overnight and we wake up to frigid house temps.
Recently, I have noticed that sometimes, the burner will start and only run for a few seconds, then go out. Alternatively, I have also noticed that the burner gets 'blown out' when the blower kicks in.
I had a friend with much more handyman experience than I come out and test the flame sensor - readings were okay. His suggestion was to replace the flame sensor first and if that did not fix the issue, then I would probably be looking at a control board replaement.
I'm going to start with a suggestion in this thread to clean the flame sensor and see if this helps.
Any other suggestions to help me avoid a costly tech repair visit would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-09, 10:53 AM
Hello phnseller---

I'd like to suggest that you start a new thread, since having multiple problems in the same thread rapidly becomes confusing.