Bryant 93 % ne furnace question

Old 12-31-08, 02:25 PM
Question Bryant 93 % ne furnace question

HI

I just had installed a new Bryant 93% nat gas furnace, 1200 sq ftt one level plus 1200 lower level, i had an old april air humidifier removed. There was a lot of vibration and they came back and screwed in the sheet metal more in the plenum where the patch was made, , helped and re hung the air intake or exhaust as it was vibrating. The furnace still is noisy on startup and shut down, It's like the blower kicks in rumbling sound when the furnace ignites, and does the same thing on shut down, My bed is right over the ducts and i can even hear it through the pillow, old one never did this was a Bryant also. They also replaced the motor right away. Sounds like a bunch of material twisted together and tightly wound up high speed if you will on start and shut down
This was a replace credit due to past Bryant issues.

I had a Trane put in another house i own and no sounds like this?
Any ideas?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
New Bryant

It's rare but not unheard of to get two bad motors. The fan itself can make noises too. I suggest you call the installer back.

Old 12-31-08, 05:02 PM
Is probably the inducer assembly. Have replaced a lot of BRYANT/Carrier inducers due to vibrations. Especially on furnace start-up/shut-down. Most have been warranty.

Old 12-31-08, 07:17 PM
Question

thanks

Bryant/Carrier Inducer Draft Blower Assembly, Part #20054001

this looks like what they replaced, i called it the motor , i think they did also, i watched him do it.

it's only been 30 days, and times its worse, the dog barks, and other people perk up when it kicks in, look to see what the noise was.

thanks

?????????

Last edited by centerfield; 12-31-08 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-01-09, 04:33 PM
Inducer noise has always been a bit of a challenge for designers of high efficiency furnaces. Now that AFUE ratings are running over 95% it is getting tougher. Just wondering, was the furnace you replaced a induced draft furnace? You may just have to get used to the noise.

10 years ago I installed an induced draft 80% furnace in the place of natural draft in my house. Although I had been around induced draft furnaces at work it was another matter in my own house in the middle of the night. I thought a jet was starting up the first time it fired up! I eventually got used to it.

Next time you buy a furnace you might want to check the noise rating as well as the AFUE. There are some very quiet furnaces out there. A friend of mine has a modulating furnace with an AFUE rating of 98% and you can't hear it running unless you are right next to it.

Old 01-01-09, 05:27 PM
Unhappy

induced draft is a new word to me, the trane i put in 3 years ago was i think 92% this one is 93%, noise was not a subject but is now "induced labor apparently!"?

we'll see what can be done

Electronic Ignition Gas Furnace - Induced Draft Furnace - Component Detail

Old 01-02-09, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by centerfield View Post
...the trane i put in 3 years ago was i think 92% this one is 93%
Wow what an upgrade! You have been spending too much time listening to Al Gore.
Sorry about that, sure you had your reasons.
Your old furnace was indeed "induced draft", sometimes called "forced draft". that just means it had a combustion air blower as apposed to "natural draft" which usually refers to a furnace without a combustion air blower but can also refer to a decent beer. Beer 4U2

I was just trying to point out that if you had upgraded from a natural draft furnace to the new one you might have mistaken normal inducer noise for a malfunction.

Old 01-02-09, 12:10 PM
Exclamation

I'm not sure where we are going with this, but i have never been around a hummer like this had i known-noway-, the old bryant was 18 reasons yes 18 years old, besides there past problems, sometimes a good deal is a headache. 1000 less was kind of hard to turn down-but

almost reminds me of the one that was in a house i sold when i was in the building trade years ago, it was on lp and when it started you thought the doors were coming off, finally it was replaced, to a lower sized unit,