York Stellar Plus & Rinnai direct vent

Old 01-02-09, 03:12 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
York Stellar Plus & Rinnai direct vent

My furnace is a model P2UDD12P09501A It has an intermittent start issue. The furnace is about 20 years old. I called my propane supplier and they said it could be the propane so they came out and added something to my tank. My Rinnai direct vent heater doesn't start every time either. So far my furnace has started by turning off the safety switch and back on and the glow plate starts and the furnace starts. Same thing with the Rinnai. I am still thinking I have a fuel issue not a furnace or heater problem. My tank is a 300 gallon and at 70% capacity. There is no snow built up around it and I do keep it shoveled out. Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mikey531; 01-02-09 at 03:16 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 01-02-09, 07:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Propane is stored as a liquid by must be a gas to be used by your equipment. Like water, it takes a lot of energy to boil propane into a gas from a liquid. That energy comes from absorbing heat into the liquid propane through the tank.

In especially cold weather there is less heat available to boil the propane and heavy demand for gas to burn in your appliances. The result can be a drop in gas pressure to levels that cause the equipment to fail to light or to gradually go out because of reduced gas pressure after the equipment has been operating.

The only real way to know is to measure the incoming gas pressure and observe what is happening to the pressure when the equipment is operating, although you might be able to watch the furnace burners be starved for fuel if you turn on both furnaces and observe them.

Do you rent your propane tank from the dealer? If so and this is a problem they should be willing to bring out a larger tank that would have a greater surface area, allowing it to absorb more heat and convert more liquid into a gas. If you own the tank, you might have to buy or lease a bigger one.

Are you going through a period of unusually cold weather for your area? If so, that would be perfect conditions for causing this kind of problem by creating high demand for propane gas and limiting heat for converting liquid propane to a gas.

Old 01-02-09, 08:42 AM
M
Yes it has been below zero or near with a lot of wind. The dealer owns the tank and I have asked for a 500 gal one but he told me he didn't have any. Thanks !

Mike

Old 01-28-09, 07:44 AM
M
York Sellar Plus model P2UDD12P09501A

I am still having intermittent start problems. I got home Monday and it was 52 in my house. The furnace was running in the evacuation part of the start. There is a toggle safety switch on the side of the furnace, if I shut that off and then back on the ignition plate glows red and the furnace starts and works all night. There is no pattern as when this happens. What am I missing ???

Old 01-28-09, 08:54 AM
Is the direct vent heater working normally with a normal sized flame? If so, that suggests that the incoming gas pressure is OK.

I can't find a reference manual for your York furnace on the internet.

You need to take the cover off the burner compartment and look for the ignition control module for the furnace, which probably has the thermostat wires attached to it. Please report the make and model of the ignition module and whether there are any blinking diagnostic lights, and if so what pattern they have.

The ignition module may be a White Rogers 50E47 like this one
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6426.pdf

Old 01-28-09, 04:13 PM
M
That is the control that my furnace has with -070.There are not any blinking lights on the control. I also have a propane water heater and kitchen stove. The heater is only used when it is very cold and it runs fine. So does the water heater and stove. I live alone so everything isn't used at the same time.

Old 01-28-09, 04:35 PM
Are there any lights on the control?

Pages 6 and 7 of the instruction manual describe various light combinations, some of which should be on at various times. Page 7 describes the sequence of events the ignition control should indicate with the lights.

A good place to start would be to review that and describe what is happening.

Also, when the furnace fails to light, check those LEDs for any pattern of failure they might be indicating. You want to do that before resetting the control by turning off the power.

Old 01-28-09, 05:09 PM
M
Ok I will do that the next time it acts up.. although now that I need to look for something it will probably run fine !!

Old 01-29-09, 03:08 AM
You don't really have to wait around until the furnace decides to quit on it's time.

A good repairman confronted with an intermittent problem will cycle the furnace 40-50 times and will probably catch the furnace failing when he can check it and observe what is happening. It may be necessary to repeat that several times until you've had a chance to eliminate possible causes of the problem and identify the actual problem accurately.

Old 02-06-09, 03:04 PM
M
Part of my problem is paying for a good repairman. I have been on 4 days or less since Thanksgiving. My question is can I tape the button under the front panel where the control is? It hasn't quit until yesterday. I took the cover off to see if I had any codes and it started and has worked fine ever since. It seems like it forgets what it is supposed to next and when I shut it off and back on it remembers !

Old 02-06-09, 03:28 PM
The fan compartment needs to be closed except when you are observing the furnace and conducting tests. Operating the furnace with the cover off can cause unsafe operation of the furnace by sucking so much air away from the furnace.

So you can tape off the door switch while you are checking and testing the furnace, but need to remove it and replace the door when you are done with that testing.

That's why I suggested that you cycle the furnace repeatedly and/or leave it on for a long run with the thermostat turned up, to catch and identify the problem.

Old 02-06-09, 05:17 PM
M
ok I can tape the button down and put the panel back on. Then the next time it quits I will take the panel off and and use the safety switch and watch for codes.

Thanks for your continual help !!!

Old 12-10-10, 04:34 AM
M
It's back !! My furnace ran fine for the last couple months and now when it gets below zero it quits !! Same problem as before. I guess the real question is how does my furnace know when it is very cold outside and then decides to quit? Maybe I need to pre-heat my cellar so it thinks it is summer and will work?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: