Help CMF80 PO

Old 01-02-09, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help CMF80 PO

I just bought a new CMF80 PO furnace 2 years ago which is still being paid for and now the mobile home court that I live in tells me that if I don't have it converted to propane by the end of March I will be evicted.

I was told by the gentleman that installed it that it was convertible and it wouldn't cost alot of money or time but he is ill and isn't doing the work anymore.

Can someon please tell me what is involved in this conversion and if $1200 sounds like alot of money to have this conversion done?

I by no means have money lying around to do this and am trying to find out if people are trying to rip me off or not.

I didn't think the burner was that much money but someone told be it over $700 for that alone and than 4 hours of labor, cleaning and so on.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks
Donna

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 11:59 AM
Basically what is needed to convert is a burner orfice, a pilot orfice, and the adjuster on the gas regulator needs to be turned over. In my opinion what you told me they want to convert it is robbery. Typically a conversion kit comes with a mobile home furnace. Check inside the furnace, it may be there. If that furnace ran on propane for two years and is set for natural gas, you are going to have some issues.

Old 01-02-09, 02:59 PM
Thanks for replying Skip but the furnace is oil right now hense the PO at the end of the model number. Any ideas?

thanks so much
Donna

Old 01-02-09, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Converting a furnace from oil to gas requires a skilled person to do it and a fairly expensive conversion burner plus some additional parts.

It's not a DIY job at all.

$1200 sounds like a bargain were that price to include the conversion burner, which I'm guessing it does not.

I'm guessing that the park doesn't want oil tanks. Your best way to save yourself money would be to think of a way to convince the park owners to let you keep burning oil.

Good luck with that.

Old 01-02-09, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cmf 80 po

I am quite familiar with the CMF furnaces. In order to convert that furnace to gas it first needs to be cleaned properly then the entire burner needs to be changed. If the $1200 includes the burner, gas piping, & labor I would say it is a fair price, probably no bargain, but fair. Simply changing the burner takes less than 10 minutes.

Old 01-02-09, 04:59 PM
That sounds kind of high. You might be able to buy a complete gas furnace for that amount of money.

These two documents from Nordyne might give you an idea what is involved if you convert your present furnace to propane. Not sure it is a do it yourself project but you can decide.

http://yaunco.com/pdfs/miller/cmfparts.pdf
http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/067a.pdf