gas furnace no heat buzzing sound - HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE - so cold here

Old 01-02-09, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy gas furnace no heat buzzing sound - HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE - so cold here

We have a gas furnace in our attic (in a condo) - and the last 2 days the "auto" setting where the heat will kick on and then shut off at desired temp. hasn't been functioning. No heat comes out whatsoever. Just a constant buzzing sound. We were able to turn the thermostat to "on" and have the heat come on but, upstairs got so darn hot we had to shut it off at about midnight last night. This morning I woke up - the house was about 45 degrees and I tried to turn on the heat to the "on" position - won't come on at all. sometimes when we turn it to Off and try again we will get no sound and a couple of times we got the buzzing sound. sometimes if we leave it on, the buzzing sound will start after a while. It's freezing here and it's friday - can anyone help? This is the kind of furnace that doest have a constant pilot. It creates a spark to light it when you switch the heat on.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 04:07 PM
Your problem could be one of a number of things...

If you turn the thermostat control (not the fan control)
to "OFF", is the buzzing sound you refer to audible?

Is your unit a straight heating unit, or a combination
heater with air conditioning?

What make and model please?

Old 01-02-09, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you want a chance of identifying the problem, you will have to remove the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace and carefully observe and report what you hear and see happening when you turn the thermostat up to turn the furnace on. Do that several times until you are satisfied you can write up a report describing what is happening.

Also, get the make and model and serial number of the furnace off the rating plate in the burner compartment of the furnace.

Old 01-02-09, 04:53 PM
ok - going to check it now and get the info- brb

Old 01-02-09, 04:55 PM
at the furnace you can simulate the stat call so you don't need to run up/down.leave the stat off no heat/no fan call,and at the furnace if you have a lettered terminal strip jump R to W to start the cycle.the buzzing could be a relay or the transformer.if you just have colored thin control wires at the furnace RED to WHITE will call the heat the same.if everything cycles OK then it is your stat or the wire runout from the stat to the furnace might be touching(mouse)

Old 01-02-09, 05:15 PM
model #

Comfortmaker model # G-U400100-16m-PD
Serial # 0000211403-l46-0057

Buzzing isnt happening now - we get nothing when we turn it on at this point-

tried to light the pilot - wont light - doesnt seem like there's any gas coming out...there is a knob that you turn to let the gas come out and then press down to light - doesn't work... cannot manually light with a fireplace lighter either

Old 01-02-09, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To be clear---

The furnace gas valve typicallt has three positions --- off, pilot and on. You should be able to turn the gas valve at least between off and pilot --- can you do that or is it frozen up so it wont turn?

If it will turn to the pilot position, usually you push down on the button to get gas to flow to the pilot light, which can be lit with a match. Does it push down, or is it frozen? Do you get gas coming from the pilot burner which can be lit?

If the valve is frozen up as is implied by your comments, you need a new combination gas valve designed to operate with a standing pilot.

I'm a little leery that you may not be following the correct procedure for lighting the pilot, since there are a fairly wide range of different procedures to use with different kinds of gas valves. This standard method wouldn't work with some kinds of gas valves.

Can you post the results of the suggestions above and the make and model of the gas valve?

Old 01-04-09, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by barbie7034 View Post

We have a gas furnace in our attic (in a condo) - and the last 2 days the "auto" setting where the heat will kick on and then shut off at desired temp. hasn't been functioning. No heat comes out whatsoever. Just a constant buzzing sound. We were able to turn the thermostat to "on" and have the heat come on but, upstairs got so darn hot we had to shut it off at about midnight last night. This morning I woke up - the house was about 45 degrees and I tried to turn on the heat to the "on" position - won't come on at all. sometimes when we turn it to Off and try again we will get no sound and a couple of times we got the buzzing sound. sometimes if we leave it on, the buzzing sound will start after a while. It's freezing here and it's friday - can anyone help? This is the kind of furnace that doest have a constant pilot. It creates a spark to light it when you switch the heat on.
I had the exact same problem here in wisconsin. My furnace has a direct vent (pvc pipe instead of chimney) the fan that sends out the exhaust is frozen. Either from condensation dripping into the unit or a foreign object (bugs). I took a small flat screwdriver with power off first to get small motor mounted on top of ufo shaped blower to turn again. This was frozen. Once it was free I returned power and gave it a spin with the screwdriver. The furnace lit and has been fine since. If you experience this problem repeatedely the drain for the pipe is clogged. Hope this gets you hot and comfy....

Old 01-04-09, 01:23 PM
To Get Hot Now!!

see my post below your first "damsal in distress" post, lol