5" filter on an Amana AMV8....

Old 01-02-09, 03:06 PM
5" filter on an Amana AMV8....

I was thinking about asking my HVAC contractor to install one of these:

Amana Air Conditioners, (A/C), Packaged Heat Pumps and Central Air Conditioning (AC) Units for Home Healing and Cooling Systems. Residential and Commercial Heating and Cooling Equipment by Amana Heating and Air Conditioning available in 14 SEER and 1

My current return duct on the down run is 11x24" and then turns 90 degrees into the side of my AMV809 furnace. The short run after the 90 is 16"x25" and then has a slot for a 16"x25"x1" filter right at the side of the furnace. I can't really move the return duct away from the furnace because it is right up to the water heater and a gas pipe. I'm thinking this ARAM might be the best solution to get to a 5" filter.

Would there be much to gain in pressure drop or filtration with the ARAM? The current filters I use are slightly better than fiberglass but not crazy like a MERV 11 Filtrete 1200 or the likes.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 07:35 AM
No duct/pressure guys out there?

Old 01-04-09, 09:01 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
I would go with a space guard! Looks like it has a smaller foot print. And you can get the media at lots of places. As far as pressure drop goes that would have to include the supply duct as well. My to cents I would get at least a 15 seer.