How to extend copper flex tubing for oil tank?

Old 01-02-09, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How to extend copper flex tubing for oil tank?

Hi Folks,
The oil tank for my furnace is above ground in the back of my house. I'm putting in a deck so I want to move the tank over to the side of the house where it will be out of the way. Right now the 3/8 flexible copper tubing runs under the house to the furnace. There are 2 tubes between the furnace and the tank (not sure why).

Anyway, anyone have any tips for extending these two tubes? I've read lots of conflicting information. My original plan was to cut both lines under the house and sweat a 3/8 coupler in place to extend them. Then I read to not sweat but braze. Then I read to use flare joints.

Does anyone know the "proper" way to do this? Also, will cutting the line cause an air pocket in the line when I add the new tubing? DO I need to drain the lines before I extend them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Splicing oil line

Ideally there should be no joints in the line(s) but if joints must be made they should be flare fittings. Never solder or braze oil lines.

On the subject of two lines:
One line is suction from the tank to the burner & the other is to return unburned fuel to the tank. The thought of having a two line system scares me to death. Should that return line get a hole in it, you would not know it until either you smelled the oil or noticed a huge increase in fuel consumption by then you have a major fuel spill. I strongly suggest abaondonment of the return & installation of a Tiger loop. Tigerloop

Old 01-05-09, 11:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks Grady,
I'll probably go with the Tiger Loop.

Cheers!

/Eric