weatherking furnace

Old 01-02-09, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weatherking furnace blowing cold air

I have a weatherking gas furnace that gets to temp but the fan runs several minutes after the flame stops. The air is cold by the time the fan shuts off. Is there a timer to adjust and if so how do I adjust it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 08:31 PM
If the furnace is a newer one that has a control board there should be small switches or jumpers on the board that will adjust your fan-off delay, typically 60,90,120,or150 seconds. Insedentally, the longer fan-off times will mean slightly higher efficiency but what good is efficiency if your feet are cold?

Please turn off power to the furnace before changing the jumpers. For your protection and the protection of your furnace.

Old 01-02-09, 08:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Usually there is a way to adjust the length of time the fan runs.

You'd need to post the model and serial number of the furnace, which might allow us to find the circuit diagram for the furnace.

Better would be to take a good picture of the circuit diagram of the furnace and post that --- there's an icon you can use to post picture files with a post.

If you can do that, it 's very likely you can get good advice on how to adjust the fan run time.

You could also look carefully on the circuit diagram --- you might be able to find such a reference for yourself.

Old 01-02-09, 08:45 PM
It is an 1986 furnace. I cant find any model #. It has a honeywell fan limit switch. Is that the switch to adjust? I can take a pic and I will look at the circuit diagram . Thank for the quick replies.

Old 01-02-09, 09:07 PM
Is this a Honeywell fan limit switch that has a rotating round metal dial on it when you remove the cover?

Usually it says "Caution, Do not rotate-hold dial when setting pointers.

There are three adjustable ointers. The one at the highest temperature is the limit switch that turns the burner off if it overheats.

The middle pointer sets the temperature at which the fan turns off.

The pointer for the lowest temperature sets the temperature at which the fan shuts off.

Make a note of the setting for the lowest temperature pointer.

You then want to increase that setting so the furnace fan shuts off at a higher temperature. Not too high though, or you will waste heat still in the heat exchanger.

Old 01-02-09, 09:41 PM
Yes it has a dial and it was set at 80-150-180. I set the off or first dial to 95 and it still runs till the air is cold. I did touch the dial to set the off and it went off as I pushed the dial to set. Watching it on the next cycle it seems to move fairly fast at first then does not move much after a minute or so. There was no cover on it. Sounds like I may need to replace it. Old furnace, old house (1925), in Michigan and freekin cold!! Looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a long while. We just bought the house a month ago so I have some maintenance to do. Thanks so much for the info!

Old 01-02-09, 10:14 PM
Boost it up some more. 100 or 110 will probably solve the problem for you.

Those f/l switches can fail by refusing to shut off at all, but since the switch was shutting off eventually it is probably working an just needs to be boosted up somewhat more.

I'd check with friends, your new neighbors and relatives to find a furnace repair outfit that is honest and competent and hopefully isn't going to try to sell you new equipment unless you really need it.

Good luck.