heater issue

Old 01-03-09, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heater issue

I'm a novice. I have an 9 yr old ComfortMaker EnviroPlus 90 in a dry crawl space. The fans runs, but the burner doesn't light. A friend of mine removed the rubber hose that runs from a diapharam or pressure switch to the the bottom of the fan. It was full of water. Once the water was removed and the hose was reattached the burner lit fine and ran fine. 2 weeks later the exact same think happened. After removing the water the burner re-lit. What is causing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have a furnace which has high efficiency in part by condensing the steam produced by burning natural gas back into water. Just as it takes a lot of energy to boil water into steam, you get energy (heat) back if you convert steam into water.

Usually this water drains away by gravity from the furnace into a pump or drain. But that is probably getting plugged up, causing the furnace to flood.

So you need to check out that drainage sysem and clean it as needed --- it can get plugged with gunk of various kinds.

Old 01-03-09, 09:48 AM
Heat going up your flue is wasted. A 90+ furnace gets the extra efficiency by running the flue gases through a secondary heat exchanger and reclaiming almost all the heat. In doing this it cools flue gasses which contain quit a bit of water vapor down from about 300 to 100 and much of the water vapor is condensed or converted to liquid in the process. That's why they call this kind of furnace a condensing furnace and why there is a condensate line running out of your furnace... to get rid of the water. Some of the water is bound to end up in the inducer (the fan you speak of). Most furnaces have a drain hose on the bottom of the inducer but some don't. If yours does, make sure it isn't clogged. You may be able to correct your problem by routing the hose going to the pressure switch in such a way that water will not collect.
Check the installation instructions and make sure the condensate hoses are installed correctly. If you could post a picture of the inducer and associated hoses I could probably have some better suggestions.

Old 01-03-09, 09:57 AM
Seattlepioneer brings a very good point. Your problem is probably a clogged condensate line or trap. If it was an installation problem (what I was suspecting) the furnace wouldn't have ever worked right. Note how the condensate hoses are installed (a digital photo would help) and take them all off and check for clogs. There also will be a condensate trap that may have accumulated gunk so take that off and blow it out with air or water. Also check the line running from the furnace to the drain and make sure it runs down hill all the way. An air bubble in this line can impede drainage. Make sure you put everything back together properly or you will have worse problems.

Old 01-04-09, 06:17 PM
RE: Heater issue

Thanks to Xpogi & SeattlePioneer my issue has been corrected. These guys were 100% correct in their diagnosis. I found a rubber gasket lodged in an elbow of the condensate line...once removed the water drained and the burner re-lit and continues to perform well 24 hrs later. Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-08-09, 05:10 PM
It's me again. Although my heater is working fine, the condensate pipe is make a loud gougling sound. It only makes this sound when the heater is running. When I put your hand over the discharge end of the pipe is noise shuts off. Any ideas?

Old 01-08-09, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like things are still plugged up with water.

If you remove the inducer motor assembly from the furnace housing, you are probably going to see the water that is being kicked up by the inducer motor fan and causing the gurgling noise.

That's what I'd check for openers, anyway. If that's the case you'll need to track down what is preventing the water from draining out of the furnace again.

Old 01-08-09, 06:26 PM
If you have a manual, check the plumbing set-up for the horizontal application. Pipe shouldn't gurgle. It might need to be in a trap to allow for proper drainage. If it is in a trap, maybe it needs water added to it to cover the pipe end.