Rheem Furnace Model RGRA

Old 01-04-09, 05:09 PM
Rheem Furnace Model RGRA

Hi I am having problem with the exhaust and the intake. seems there not enough outside air getting to the furnace from the intake PVC line. I had to take off another plug hole to get more air. Second my outtake exhaust line is having lots of condensation leaking and I checked the T's and lines were the water is suppose to drain to and looks to be clear. Is it maybe my lines are to long of a run to the wall? Sorry its a high efficiency furnace. Please help thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 05:38 PM
Is this a new installation? Has the furnace been running OK until recently? Where is the water leaking from? What makes you think it isn't getting enough combustion air?

Sorry, we need more information.

Last edited by xpogi; 01-04-09 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 11:29 AM
rheem con't furnace problems

Furnace is newer.....bought the house.....having to break off huge chunks of ice outside the exhaust pipe out side plus take off part of the outside exhaust( "s" shape) Also when I am watching the furnace start up or fire up the top door sucks in and goes out as this is a result as the furnace not getting enough intake air from outside so when I opened the extra plug hole so air from the basement is getting in the door deson't suck in and out andymore which results in a problem for me. Second the ice builting up outside is a hassel so there is alot of condensation there water coming out of the pipe now which should run to the pump instead.

Old 01-05-09, 03:27 PM
Sounds like you may have a high spot in the venting. The pipe should be sloped downhill from the termination all the way back to the furnace. There should not be any high spots or sagging areas. The proper slope would resolve the ice issues and maybe even pressure switch issues.

Old 01-05-09, 03:53 PM
what is the proper slope?

Old 01-05-09, 04:39 PM
Usually 1/4" per foot is sufficient. Oh, and have the gas pressure checked. Incoming and manifold pressure.

Old 01-06-09, 07:47 PM
why pressure check?

Why pressure check? whats that suppose to do and is a Rheem 90-plus a good unit?

Old 01-07-09, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lats2008 View Post
...when I am watching the furnace start up or fire up the top door sucks in and goes out as this is a result as the furnace not getting enough intake air from outside so when I opened the extra plug hole so air from the basement is getting in the door deson't suck in and out andymore which results in a problem for me...
Caution: the door flexing in and out is not necessarily a malfunction. I but this furnace doesn't have a burner box but has gasketed doors and relies on the entire burner vestibule for sealed combustion. If this is the case, the door flexing is normal and by opening the extra plug in the casing you are defeating the sealed combustion feature in the furnace. This could definitely be a problem if your furnace is near the washer and dryer or if it is in a rather tightly sealed basement or room. Also keep in mind that if the manufacturer didn't intend for "extra plugs" to be removed, they may not have tested the furnace in that configuration and some safety components may not perform the job as they were indented. Most home owners and even some HVAC technicians have no idea how much testing goes into a furnace in the design phase. Most of these tests are to assure that if a furnace is not installed correctly or has a malfunction, it will not cause an unsafe condition.

While I didn't design your furnace I have been involved with the design of similar furnaces and I would strongly caution against operating it with the extra hole open. Check the installation manual. If your vent pipe is adequate in size and length and if it is installed as directed you are getting enough combustion air. Just ignore the door flexing.

By the way Skip4661s suggestions are valid but while regulating agencies require a minimum of 1/4 inch per foot slope I recommend 1/2 inch per foot. Also make sure your furnaces internal and external condensate hoses and fittings are not obstructed as well as the trap.