burnham bolier/beckett burner acting up.

Old 01-04-09, 07:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry burnham bolier/beckett burner acting up.

Beer 4U2
Ok folks, new to the forum. Iíve been reading posts & doin searches, but havenít seen a problem I can relate to like mine. Burnham boiler Mod LE2-GBI2S, with a Beckett AFG burner assembly. Cleancut XL pump, Honeywell 7184U 1012 controller. Recent annual service completed Oct 08, to include new nozzle, burner gasket & fuel filter. Cad cell, electrodes, & fuel pressure checked & adjusted as necessary. Draft , stack, temp and Co2 all checked by professional. He cleaned the firebox, stack etc. all is well right?? Wrong. System has trouble starting & running, then shuts off, controller locks out (after three failed starts?) when it gets cold (-20įF or colder). Seems like the pump wonít suck fuel from outside tank 20 some feet away, buried 6 feet in the ground. If I hook up the fuel supply & return lines to a portable tank, all works fine. Problem is Iím getting tired of refilling my portable tank daily when I have 500 gallons in the ground tank (a little nervous too with open fuel tank near boiler). Do I have a fuel pump problem? Was using #2, but when problem started I added anti gel to no avail. Now adding #1, still wont run. Is the fuel gelling in the lines? Cold fuel doesnít atomize as well in the box, is the cad cell weak and not sensing the proper flame? Is the supply line blocked/clogged? Iím at a loss. Pushing 60 below here in Alaska. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
Steve in North Pole

Old 01-05-09, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Steve

I think you've answered your own question. First thing I'd do after making sure the lines were clear would be to get rid of the return line & install a Tiger loop. This will give the fuel a chance to warm before it is introduced into the burner.

Old 01-08-09, 10:29 PM
S
tiger loop

Do i just plug return line off the pump? I'll try it in the am and let you know.
thanks...

Old 01-09-09, 09:08 AM
S
tiger loop

Something i thought of tho; why is it now i need a tiger loop when it ran fine for two years? Another suggested fix was to change controller from interupted to intermittent.
Thanks for listening

Old 01-09-09, 07:53 PM
P
Originally Posted by sellisrulzz
Do i just plug return line off the pump? I'll try it in the am and let you know.
thanks...
The return line would hook back into the tiger loop.

I'd have the tech come back and hook up a vacuum gauge on the pump and see if there's a blockage in the line. I've also had
a bad flare and/or a pinhole in the line that lets air into the system.

Old 01-09-09, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Steve

If you take that same fuel & warm it indoors it burns fine. Okay, you have eliminated the temperature factor but you have also eliminated the lines which could be either leaking (sucking in air) or restricted in some way. As pdf27 mentioned, a vacuum gauge will tell you a lot. If you are pulling high vacuum, you can cause the oil to boil even at low temps. You would be amazed how much vacuum reduction you will see by converting to a single line. With a single line, you only pull from the tank the amount of fuel you are burning. With a 2 line system you are moving (or trying to move) about 17 gallons per hour.

Old 01-10-09, 11:19 AM
S
Loop is in.

wow, 17 GPH... thas circulates a lot of fuel...
ok, heres the latest. before I installed Tiger loop, i ran the boiler off the suction line, which has a vacuum guage on it. at start up, it shows 4 or 5, then, goes up to about 7 as the boiler shuts off. but what i noticed was the fuel being discharged out the return line off the pump gets real foamy the same time the guage reading goes up. pump is cavitating, but is it from line restriction? i'm going to back flush the supply line. in the meantime, the tiger loop install went without hassle, and the boiler ran all night!!! still want to isolate the line problem. Will end up waiting till spring thaw to dig up my line & see if where the lines been compromised. you should see the bubbles in the tiger loop's bowl! thanks for all your input, advise & education.
steve in North Pole AK, -48įF

Old 01-11-09, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Air Bubbles

How is the vacuum now? It should be lower. If you are seeing air bubbles even at 7" I suspect an air leak. One wouldn't normally see oil boiling until you get to 10"+. On many systems I've used kerosene to back flush the lines once I'm sure there is a restriction due to sludge in the lines. I use a pump like this:
T30 HAND PUMP

Old 01-11-09, 06:40 PM
S
vacuum

Well Grady, since i put on the loop that has a built in filter, my other filter was removed, and it had the vacuum guage on it. i think i'll rig up a T fitting so i can monitor vacuum and will report back. I can see foamy fuel being pumped back into tiger loop while burner is running. any ideas there? All three lines are basically submerged in the fuel. bubbles go to the top. wouldnt the burner pull fuel from the filter in the tiger loop? i dont understand why i still have bubbles in pump return line. I know it shouldnt matter, as the boiler is running, two days straight now, but i'm wondering if the pump is worn out & cavitating? pump pressure is set @ 140, but it fluctuates slightly. can i put in some sort of sight glass in the tank supply line to see if air being pulled in from the tank?

Old 01-12-09, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tiger Loop

If you have the regular Tiger loop there is no filter. That part inside the plastic bowl is a float. The Tiger loop Ultra does have a spin on filter on the bottom.

For testing I often install a refrigerant sight glass (flare x flare) in the suction line. With this installed I can actually see if there are any air bubbles in the incoming fuel.

Old 01-13-09, 04:30 PM
P
cold

I was wondering if there's a chance the fuel is partially gelling
if it's 60 below. Might be worthwhile to put some diesel conditioner in the tank.

Are there any shut off valves inline? If there are, try shutting the valves and running the burner till you get 10in vacuum and the shut the burner off. The vacuum should hold steady. Might
eliminate part of the system from air leaks.

Old 01-13-09, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Valves

Originally Posted by pfd27
Are there any shut off valves inline? If there are, try shutting the valves and running the burner till you get 10in vacuum and the shut the burner off. The vacuum should hold steady. Might
eliminate part of the system from air leaks.
If there are valves in both the supply & return lines, shut only the supply valve until the burner is turned off then quickly close the return valve.

Old 01-13-09, 04:56 PM
P
Originally Posted by Grady
If there are valves in both the supply & return lines, shut only the supply valve until the burner is turned off then quickly close the return valve.
oops. Me bad

Wonder if the old return line goes to the bottom of the tank since he's using a tiger loop now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: