Goodman GMP050-3 HSI upflow ignitor dos not light

Old 01-05-09, 04:36 PM
Goodman GMP050-3 HSI upflow ignitor dos not light

Hi
I need help with a goodman Gmp050-3 hsi upflow furnace
it was working fine the night before.
the combustion blower motor works. is this the same as the enducer?
I checked the igniter with a ohm's meeter for resistance and it was 42 ohms so I thought it was the igniter and I changed it and clean the flame sensor with sand paper, and check for any loose wires from the flame roll out safty it has 4
at this point there is no red flashes,the red light from the ciruit boad stays solid red.

shoud I check for any voltage to the ignitor? if yes what voltage? 24v? or 120v?

where can I stat I know I have gas

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-09, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ignitor does not glow

With a reading of 42 ohms, the old ignitor should be fine. Never clean a flame rod with sand paper. Use only steel wool washed in alcohol to remove oils or scotch brite pads.
The furnace goes thru an entire ignition sequence & the circulating fan comes on & no blink code?? Something is screwy. I've never seen one do that. You should get 120 to the iginitor.

Old 01-05-09, 04:46 PM
On some boards a solid red light indicates a bad control. What is the model number of the control?

Old 01-05-09, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
With a reading of 42 ohms, the old ignitor should be fine. Never clean a flame rod with sand paper. Use only steel wool washed in alcohol to remove oils or scotch brite pads.
The furnace goes thru an entire ignition sequence & the circulating fan comes on & no blink code?? Something is screwy. I've never seen one do that. You should get 120 to the iginitor.

I get no voltage from the control board to the igniter
and the combustion blower motor stay on all the time

the thermostat is set for heat
and the fan switch to auto

Old 01-05-09, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Solid Red Light

Thermofridge is right. I forgot about that. Goodman uses thier own control boards.

Old 01-05-09, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Thermofridge is right. I forgot about that. Goodman uses thier own control boards.
so is this my problem do I need new control board?

what other options do I have before I buy a new board?

Old 01-06-09, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Control Board

We don't know you have a bad board yet. Somewhere on the furnace there should be a "blink code" key. Often it is on the inside of the blower door.

Old 01-06-09, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Xfiles,

What would help would be for you to take the cover off the furnace and carefully observe the sequence of events that is happening and report those to us. You would probably need to observe that sequence several times until you fully appreciated what you are seeing.

The most common way to diagnose furnace problems is by observing the sequnce of operation. You've described some things you see, but not sequentially and not in detail.