Need location of heat rod sensor for York Diamond 80

Old 01-06-09, 12:55 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need location of heat rod sensor for York Diamond 80

Hi,

I know there is a sensor rod, but do not have original manual. I believe it may need cleaning to enable gas burners to operate properly. Can someone tell me where it is located? i have looked with no success. Thanks, from cold in Atlanta

Old 01-06-09, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The flame sensor is usually on the opposite side of the assembled burners from the hot surface ignitor.

It's typically a small rod sticking up into the burner flames with a wire coming down from the bottom that goes over to the circuit board.

There may not be one. Some furnaces use the hot surface ignitor as the flame sensor, some like the Honeywell Smart Valve incorporate it in the assembly with the HSI.

What is your furnace doing to make you suppose the flame sensor is the problem?

Old 01-06-09, 04:27 PM
The flame sensor will look something like this With the ceramic insulator on the outside of the burner box, the flange attached with a screw, and the rod on the inside of the burner box at the "business end" of the last burner. If I remember correctly, it has a purple wire going to it.

Turn off power to your furnace. Remove the wire going to the sensor, Remove the sensor by removing the screw. Clean the sensor with steel wool or very fine sandpaper, Wipe is clean with a paper towel and re install. Make sure the wire terminal is tightly fastened to the sensor's terminal. If its loose. Squeeze it together carefully with a pair of pliers.

Old 01-11-09, 05:56 PM
R
Originally Posted by xpogi
The flame sensor will look something like this With the ceramic insulator on the outside of the burner box, the flange attached with a screw, and the rod on the inside of the burner box at the "business end" of the last burner. If I remember correctly, it has a purple wire going to it.

Turn off power to your furnace. Remove the wire going to the sensor, Remove the sensor by removing the screw. Clean the sensor with steel wool or very fine sandpaper, Wipe is clean with a paper towel and re install. Make sure the wire terminal is tightly fastened to the sensor's terminal. If its loose. Squeeze it together carefully with a pair of pliers.
Thanks for your help in locating the heat sensor rod. Furnace currently in a good mood and working. Colder weather on its way to Atlanta. Currently warm!!!!

Old 02-23-13, 07:31 PM
S
I was having the same problem with my York Diamond 80 furnace. I just wanted to say thanks to SeattlePioneer and xpogi for the description of where the sensor is located, the picture of what it looks like, and how to clean it.

The only thing that I would add was that the connector to the flame sensor was on pretty tight so I did not have to take it off. So no need to force it off if it is on tight.

Thanks folks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: