Problem With Amana Furnace

Old 01-07-09, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem With Amana Furnace

I have a problem with an older Amana furnace. The mod. # is GHN90a35. There are cracks in the burner heat shield,a part that directs the flame into the heat exchanger and protects the cabinet from heat/ flame. The service company tells me the part is not available, seems the unit is too old. Any ideas where I can get one or have one made up? The shield is a piece of flat steel about 12"x3" with 4 tapered holes. I may be able to snap a picture if needed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-09, 08:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A sheet metal shop could probably duplicate it for you, or you could probably patch it with a piece of sheet metal yourself.

I'd be more interested in inspecting the furnace for any defects that might have caused this problem. The furnace may be working OK and produced this damage over the years, but you don't want to overlook something that might be a problem.

Old 01-08-09, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply
This is not a recent crack or problem, it was first discovered about 8 years ago. The service tech told me to keep an eye on it. Over the years it has cracked in 3 more places and I think it is time to replace it before there is a REAL problem. I was told the shield cracks because of the heat, expansion and contraction over time. If all else fails, it's off to the sheet metal shop to have one made. Probably will use some kind of stainless, to try to get more life out of it.