retro install zone problem

Old 01-07-09, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
retro install zone problem

Hello all,

I recently installed a pneumatic damper zone system. I went from one to 2 zones on an existing oil fired hot air furnace (heat only, no AC). I replaced the old t-stat and installed a 2nd one in the new zone. The stats are basic Robertshaw programables. The zone control panel is also a Robertshaw. The system is from Retrozone and includes their pump station for inflating and deflating the dampers.

The problem is that when the thermostats call for heat, the dampers work as planned, deflating and inflating according to what is needed, however the furnace does not run. The LEDs on the control panel all light properly, including the one that is labeled, "panel is working correctly". The connection to the furnace comes from the air pump and I connected the 2 wires to the same location that the old stat was.

If I reconnect the thermostat directly to the furnace (bypassing the zone panel) the furnace works fine.

Retrozone so far has not been able to help

Other misc info: the zone control has it's own transformer. The stats are wired from RH and W in the stat to R and W in the panel. There is a RC-RH jumper in the stats. The control panel is wired to the pump station as follows (zone 1 common "x" to pump station common), ( zone 1 "pc" to zone one solenoid , zone 2 "pc" to zone 2 solenoid)

It seems that the panel and pump station are doing what they are supposed to, except for communicating with the furnace.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-09, 12:06 PM
Do you have a troubleshooting guide?? Or are you calling the help desk??

Here is a "PDF" link for troubleshooting this.

http://www.retrozone.com/Airzone_Tro...ing_Manual.pdf

Old 01-07-09, 01:28 PM
They gave me a different trouble shooting guide that only covers the panel and not the entire system. Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I've been looking for. I'll work through it to see if I can figure it out and report back here.

Old 01-07-09, 02:20 PM
Very good, keep us posted.

Old 01-07-09, 03:06 PM
Nothing in the troubleshooting guide helped except to confirm that the problem is not the furnace. After a couple calls to Retrozone in which they talked me through further testing and trouble shooting, they are stumped. They are going to contact Robertshaw tomorrow to see if they can figure it out.

Stay tuned...

Old 01-07-09, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Staying tuned, BUT

I'm afraid you've wasted your money by zoning an oil burner or any single stage equipment. You are most likely doing the furnace harm.

Old 01-07-09, 04:56 PM
I hope your wrong Grady, but I'll remember what you said if the furnace fails.

Old 01-08-09, 07:56 AM
Cool Zoning Validity

Zoning has two points of validity, and they will vary based on the application. Point ONE - Zoning CAN save energy dollars with forced air and radiant systems, but the large majority of the savings is from using programmable or networkable thermostats. If your thermostats aren't going into setback when the room/area is not used, you're just using more energy because it might 'fire' the system when not needed. Point TWO - Zoning, in some cases, should be thought of as a comfort tool. Every home, building, facility has hot/cold spots compared to the rest of the areas. Zoning can help you balance those areas out so they are comfortable when occupied and not burning energy when they're not... again... a lot of it comes back to using thermostat controls that help you accomplish this!