Help, my house is frezzing!!

Old 01-08-09, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help, my house is frezzing!! and i have kids pls

i have an oil fired warm furnace and hot water heater and on the furnace i can not get it to ignite. the flame sensors wires i noticed were almost cut and some bare wire was showing, so i cut and put wire nuts but i am still not getting nothing, do u think it is the sensor bad or can it be the nozzle clogged or the ignition transformer bad. Now this is gonna sound bad , but i am attending an HVAC/R school but did not get to heating yet. do u think i should bench check the transformer for a spark arc test. at first i thought air was gettin in the line cause i would bleed the line and it would fire up and during the night it would shut down and after a few times thats wen i noticed the bare wires on the sensor i guess from the heavy transformer crushed it and i think u can check the sensor if i am right wen u shine a light in the eye u shud get about 1500k ohms is this correct? help me out guys please, i have kids. ps i have a hot water heater running off the same line and thats workin fine .

Last edited by tul813; 01-08-09 at 05:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 05:45 AM
With the wire insulation being striped dowwn to bare copper, I would guess a short in the low volt. Check for a 3-5 amp fuse first then check the X-former.

ood Luck with your new Career

Old 01-08-09, 05:59 AM
where wud i check for that 3-5 amp fuse? and thanx very much

Old 01-08-09, 06:08 AM
The control board or the X-former.

Old 01-08-09, 06:25 AM
this is just a plain beckett oil burner which does not have a control board, i do not see any type of fuse and as far as the ignition transformer box, i thought the only way to check it was to get an insulated screwdriver and check for an arc spark but i dont know if that will work wen it is flipped open, i may need to make a cheater cord and plug it in cause i already tried it in place and did not get anything.

Old 01-08-09, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
The control board or the X-former.
are u talkin about the step down transformer?

Old 01-08-09, 06:34 AM
YEP, you more than likely let the smoke out of the X-former (step down)

Old 01-08-09, 06:42 AM
Thank u so much so wat u r sayin is because the cad cell basically shorted out, in turn i burnt out the step down, is that correct, i jus wanna be sure because i rent and the landlord is going to say to fix it and deduct it off my rent. But like i said thank u soo much for ur advice

Old 01-08-09, 06:52 AM
If you have a multimeter, check the X-former that way. You can check the windings by doing a resistance check. Make sure the X-former is good or bad, and change out the igniter. If you have not alread preformed you spark arc test don't do it that way, you will be sure to blow it that way.