2 Indep. Heat Sys-50 Yr GAS Steam+7 YR GTHS

Old 01-08-09, 07:48 AM
2 Indep. Heat Sys-50 Yr GAS Steam+7 YR GTHS

I would like opinions on the feasibility and wisdom of controlling a gas-steam furnace, which has a pilot valve and its own transformer and thermostat, with a new Honeywell TH8320U1008 digital thermostat that currently controls a Command Aire/Trane GTHS.--Currently I have a digital Hunter 44150B thermostat which controls the furnace, set to 2 degrees F below the GTHS. The GTHS is a 2 Heat/1 Cool with the electric supplementary heater.--Essentially the gas furnace acts independently as backup/supplementary heat if the heat pump can not maintain temp. The gas steam and the heat pump work in parallel to heat the house in extreme cold temps and during the recovery period after scheduled set back at night. (I have the electric heat disabled.)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2 systems w/one stat

It could be done but not directly, I don't think. IF the transformer in the heat pump air handler is heavy enough to power the heat pump & the boiler controls, you might be able to connect the second stage terminal to the gas valve.
One big disadvantage to doing this is you are putting all of your control eggs in one basket so to speak.

Old 01-10-09, 03:20 PM
Gas STeam and GTHS and 1 TSTAT

yes, thanks, I came to that conclusion and think i'll stay with what I got. Keep the redundancy without the extra cost, time, etc.
I am trying to program each so the gas steam acts not only as a backup heat source, but can augment the over-night recovery.