Honeywell F50, fibers stuck in prefilter

Old 01-09-09, 04:13 PM
Honeywell F50, fibers stuck in prefilter

I have a Honeywell F50 electronic air cleaner with the aluminum honeycomb-style prefilters. The problem is that there are a lot of tiny fiber and hairs lodged in the honeycombs. I think I just had one of the prefilters in backwards, so the fibers were getting blown into the ionizer section and causing sparking. that is, they were stuck like toilet paper on a fan, and just spark, spark, sparking.

I turned the filter the other way and still had to pull out a bunch of fibers and hairs, but the situation seems to have stabilized now.

Is there any safe easy way to remove these fibers? They are not part of the filter media, they are just part of fabric and dust and so on that float into the system. I've had this cleaner for over 8 years and hose out the prefilters and wash the ionizer modules every 1-2 months. But none of that would be likely to remove these fibers.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pre-filters

If this is a metal pre-filter, you can use a propane torch with a flame spreader attachment to burn the fibers off.

Old 01-11-09, 02:39 PM
Hey, I like that! I also have a heat gun, didn't even think of it. Thank you!

Old 01-11-09, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heat Gun

I don't know if a heat gun will work or not but the propane torch with a flame spreader will for sure.

Old 01-11-09, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
I was thinking a heat gun may take too long to burn any fibers off...

Old 01-11-09, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't think that heat, especially with a flame is a good idea. Those aluminum prefilters could easily be melted or damaged by a flame.

Another thing that might work would be to use a hose nozzle and water.

And of course replacements can be obtained or ordered from a heating contractor or distributor.

I'd be inclined to try various kinds of brushed combined with a vacuum to suck up material. And I'd lay the filters flat since pushing them out of shape is likely to cause them to short out the high voltage wires on the electrostatic filters.