Furnace won't stay on to reheat the house

Old 01-10-09, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace won't stay on to reheat the house

My furnace will heat the house if I turn the heater on manually from the thermostat. After the house is heated to the desire temp, the furnace will stop heating the house like it is supposed to do. However, when the tempurature starts to drop, the furnace will not automatically kick in and reheat the house. This problem is fixed by manually turning off and on the thermostats again.

We called a contractor and he replaced a controller but the problem is still there. He even replaced a different thermostat and it didn't work. Now he is saying that we need a new furnace and I like to know if it is true that there is no way to repair this problem but to replace a entirely new furnace. This furnace is only 9 years old!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-09, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have an AC voltmeter and understand how to use it?

You need to take the cover off the burner compartment and find the rating plate that has the make and model of the furnace listed on it, and report that here.

Then turn the thermostat down until everything shuts off. Turn the thermostat up to 80 degrees or so and observe what happens as the furnace ignites and operates. I think you'll find that it shuts off after a while before the thermostat shuts it off. Check the ignition module for any error codes that start flashing.

You may find that the furnace makes two or three attempts to relight after the burners shut off the first time before locking out.

More than likely, the furnace is shutting off on some safety switch or check after it's been operating for awhile. When it locks out on the safety check, it wont turn on again until the thermostat has been turned down or the AC power has been shut off.

You need to determine whether this supposition or theory is accurate.

Old 01-11-09, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by dingchang823 View Post
We called a contractor and he replaced a controller but the problem is still there. He even replaced a different thermostat and it didn't work.
Another one of these types of contractors, I see.

Now he is saying that we need a new furnace and I like to know if it is true that there is no way to repair this problem but to replace a entirely new furnace. This furnace is only 9 years old!
Ask him to show you where the crack or hole is in the heat exchanger. And if he can't, ask him why the furnace needs replacing. Because he can't figure out what screw-on component is bad?

Who ARE these kind of contractors, anyway? Aren't they supposed to be schooled and licensed? I.Q. isn't there, or what? Crooks?