Goodman vent pressure switch failure

Old 01-10-09, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman vent pressure switch failure

The other day my furnace failed to come on sometime during the night. 3 blinks from the status light led me to check the line to the pressure sensor, as well as replace the filter. Furnace worked fine for a day or so, then same thing. I completely removed the line to the sensor, and a little water drained out. Put the line back in and furnace works fine. How did water get in there? I am getting water draining into my sump, and unhooking the drain line that goes to the sump left maybe two half dollar sized puddles under the drain trap in just 20 or so seconds. Going to Florida for two weeks soon and no one will be here to make sure my house does not freeze solid, so I need to correct this soon.

fwiw - furnace has run for 9 years with 0 problems, nothing was recently changed.

Thanks,

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-09, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the specific error code for the three blinks?

Some Goodman furnaces were famous for having the fitting on the inducer motor housing which the rubber tubing fits over get plugged with crud.

Turning off the furnace so the inducer motor wont start and cleaning that fitting out with a small drill bit might be worth a try.

If that doesn't help, I'd take the inducer motor assembly out of the furnace and inspect the fan wheel for any significant detrioration or debris plugging it, test the motor to decide if it's coming up to speed and inspect as much of the heat exchanger as can be viewed through the hole for accumulations of water and debris.

Old 01-10-09, 05:56 PM
The manual just staets that if the pressure switch fails to close you get three blinks. Moving the tubing to the switch both times has allowed the furnace to restart. I'll check the opening in the inducer, and inspect the heat exchanger. Not sure how to test the motor itself though.

Old 01-10-09, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a furnace with white plastic vent pipe, which suggests a 90% efficient condensing furnace or metal vent pipe, which suggests an 80% efficient furnace?

Old 01-10-09, 08:30 PM
It is PVC for the vent pipe. If it helps it is a GMPN080-4 with a date of April 1997.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 01-11-09, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by ebishop View Post
It is PVC for the vent pipe. If it helps it is a GMPN080-4 with a date of April 1997.
Thanks,Eric
It's a condensing furnace. Some liquid water will be present in the inducer blower under normal operating conditions. This water is not supposed to collect in the pressure switch hose but in yours it is. Try this first: Re-route the pressure switch hose so that it will not have a low place to hold water. This may require buying a longer hose or shortening the one you have. This will allow any water that gets into the hose in the off cycle to run back into the inducer where it belongs. If you install a longer hose, make sure it has no kinks.

There are several conditions which can cause too much water to build up in the inducer and get into the pressure switch hose.

• Look for a kink in a condensate hose inside your furnace. They will be larger than the pressure hose.
  • No kinks? Take each hose off one at a time and clean them out if necessary.
  • Take the condensate trap out and clean it out with air or water and reinstall.
  • Make sure the condensate pipe or hose coming out of the furnace runs down hill all the way to the drain. An air bubble in this line can cause your problem.

Old 01-11-09, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the advice. Last night I cut the hose to the switch roughly in half since it was so long it was drooping, it is now downhill all the way back to the inducer.

Most of your other suggestions I have done except the trap, someone glued the AC condensate line to it so I cannot remove without cutting this line, I ordered a new trap and will reinstall without glue.

Furnace has been running fine since last night. Time for a cleaning anyways by a pro so I will be making an appointment in the near future and bring this up when they are here. Maybe he can test the inducer.

Beer 4U2

Thanks again all,

Eric