Trane Gas Furnace - Different models

Old 01-12-09, 01:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane Gas Furnace - Different models

We are installing a new gas furnace for our 1800 sqft home, single story in Southern California. We want a quiet unit that will keep the temperature changes smooth rather than big jumps in temperatures. Our contractor recommended Trane single stage (XT80) or two stage (XL80) or two stage with variable speed blower (XV80). Any opinions on which I should go with and how much more should each option cost, assuming the duct work and everything else stays the same? I have looked on the internet and cannot find pricing on the units.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-09, 04:14 PM
XT80 is standard blower, will be louder.

XL80 is two stage, still uses a standard blower, and will be some what quiet on first stage, but 2nd stage will be more noise.

XV80 is a variable speed DC motor, that runs very quiet, and if you run the Fan in ON mode, the fan wil be far more quiet than the above two units.

Also be sure you get a two stage t-stat to match with the XV90 furnace.

be sure the dealer does the Manual-J (Load Calc) on your home. I'd say for your in your mild winter, you won't need anything bigger than 60,000 BTU.

Old 01-12-09, 05:14 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
...a variable speed DC motor... runs very quiet...
I can vouch for that. I have a variable speed motor in my two stage York. They are more expensive but dramatically quieter. Also they will likely save you a bit of money in the long run because variable speed (ECM) motors use less electricity than PSC (fixed speed) motors. BTW this savings will not be reflected in the product's EnergyGuide sticker. Most people don't realize that electrical usage in not factored in when calculating gas furnace efficiency, AFUE.

Old 01-12-09, 11:55 PM
T
Thanks for the info. The manual J calc was done on it and we need a 77,000 BTU unit. Any idea on the price difference between (ballpark figures) XT80, XL80 and XV80?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-09, 08:02 AM
I have no clue, and I went right for the XV model, I did not want to know what the other cost since that's what I want..... quiet and comfort!

Be sure you get a two stage stat, and if you plan on getting A/C, and if you got a humid summer, or new wire for the t-stat is going to be an issue, I suggest the Honeywell IAQ t-stat.

I take it you don't have much insulation and single pane windows?