york 80 wont stay lit

Old 01-12-09, 07:06 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
york 80 wont stay lit

model p4hub16no8001a
I used sandpaper on the flame sensor, still not working right.
It lights, then goes out, lights then goes out.
Lockout caused by flame sensed when there should be no flame,
then lockout caused by loss of flame after five trys.

I took a video of the erratic blue flames, my guess is the regulator isnt sending a constant amount of gas, it seems as if its constantly adjusting.

I posted the video on youtube as a reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ6lB3QiBQ

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZ6lB3QiGBQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZ6lB3QiGBQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 01-12-09, 07:17 PM
Nice video. It appears you have a gas supply issue such as a plugged screen on your regulator. Do you have nat gas or lp.
Check that regulator screen for snow or ice. If lp will have 2 regs one at the house one at the tank.

Old 01-12-09, 09:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nice idea, but the link isn't working for me.

Skip, it sounds like the size of the flame is fading out so that the flame sensor isn't engulfed by the burner flames?

I's ask:

Id this natural gas or propane? Are outdoor temperatures unusually cold?

Are there other gas appliances in the house? If so, do they exhibit a fading burner size when operating, especially when both the furnace and the other appliances are operating?

Old 01-13-09, 09:39 AM
S
Thankx for the quick replys!

Its natural gas. We are having a cold front come through here in New Orleans, Its usually 70-80 during the day and 50-60 during the night this time of year. Its been in the 50's during the day, and 40's during the night.. tonight is gonna be in the 30's. There is a gas water heater, I will check the flame.

While typing this I just called the previous tenant, they said it happened before and there is probably water in the gas lines, to call the gas company and have them blow out the lines again.

The video link again..

Old 01-13-09, 11:28 AM
If you can observe the flames varying in size while the furnace and/or water heater are operating, water in the gas lines would be a likely cause of that problem.

MANY were the times I blew water out of low pressure gas lines and gas mains when I was a utility repairman. And you are lucky to be in the banana belt --- around here that water tended to freeze in gas meters, stopping them cold, so to speak! Some gas mains had water tanks buried with them in which water could collect --- you might pump out 50-100 gallons out of one of those!

If you turn on the furnace and water heater and watch the small dial on the gas meter and listen to the gas passing through the meter, you may hear and see the surging of the gas as it is restricted and then surges as water plugs and unplugs the line. Having a high demand by having all the appliances on makes it easier to detect that condition.

If so, call the utility. They should come pump it out and correct the problem for you.

Old 01-13-09, 08:39 PM
S
Water in the gas lines!

I turned off gas main, disconnected meter, shook out a lot of water, blew lots more out of the lines. Turned on main without meter hoping to let out a little water that might be on the street side, got nothing then a lil gas, could hear the water gurgling. It seems it would get pushed up hill, then roll back down.. as the gas flowed freely then stopped.. I hooked everything back up, and am going to call the gas company in the morning to have them remove the water from their lines.

Thanks seattle and skip!

Old 01-13-09, 08:51 PM
Glad you identified the problem, but I'd have to recommend against your efforts at self help.

That can be pretty dangerous.

Calling the utility for repairs is the smart move. I'd be curious to know how long it takes them to get out to make repairs.

The utility I worked for made that a priority. They seemed to think that utility customers should get gas from their meters when they wanted it, and if it was the utility's fault that they weren't the company wanted that fixed ASAP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: