S86F Pilot Clicking With No Flame

Old 01-15-09, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
S86F Pilot Clicking With No Flame

System:
Bryant with Honeywell Gas Valve and Honewell S86F Ignitor.

Problem:
When thermostat kicks unit on, the pilot sparks for up to 10 minutes. The pilot doesn't light. When I turn the gas off, leave it off for about 3-5 seconds, and turn the gas back on, the pilot then lights and the main valve opens up in a second or two after that.

I had a technician in who said the problem was probably the gas valve. I purchased and installed a new one, but the problem remains. What could the problem be and what should I do next?

Thanks,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-09, 08:38 AM
If you have a meter ,turn up the heat and with the pilot sparking check for voltage at the gas valve across the MV/PV and the pv terminals. Should have 24 volts a/c give or take a couple volts. If there's voltage at the valve the pilot orfice needs cleaned. If you have no voltage, replace the ign. module.

Old 01-15-09, 08:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd also double check to make sure you have a good gas supply at the gas valve, which also means checking to make sure the gas is turned on at the meter, the furnace shutoff valve and the electric gas valve.

The easiest way to verify that is to take off the pilot tubing at the gas valve then turn on the power to the furnace --- if you have gas coming out of the gas valve pilot tube fitting while the spark is operating at the pilot tubing, you have gas that far and it's probably a plugged pilot orifice.

You should be able to verify that by turning the power on for a second or so, so you don't vent off too much gas.