Heil 80% will not fire

Old 01-15-09, 01:29 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heil 80% will not fire

Hello, what i mean to say I am only 99% sure it is an 80%er. It's updraft with 2 burners, but there are no stickers or anything to determine model number or anything that I have found. But I do know it's a heil. I'm a plumber by trade and like to consider myself at least somewhat mechanically inclined enough to figure this out, but I've hit a brick wall here.

It was installed about 7 years ago and has ran well up until now.

Startup sequence:

1. tstat calls for heat, draft inducer starts to blow
2. glow rod begins to glow
3. gas valve clicks and begins releasing gas (I can smell it if I remove the burner cover during this time)
4. pilot fails to light, glow rod turns off
5. step 2 begins again after 30 seconds or so and will do so 2 more times before locking out completely

What's puzzling is that while researching this the common fix is to clean the flame sensor if the furnace fails to ignite fully. But I'm not even getting a flame for the sensor to detect.

Any ideas are appreciated, as I think I've hurt my brain over this already

Old 01-15-09, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What's the make and model of the ignition module or circuit board? I'm guessing this is a Honeywell smartvalve, since that's about the only ignition system with a pilot light and a hot surface ignitor.

That may have the make and model on the gas valve.

The most likely problem is that the pilot orifice and pilot burner are dirty and need to be cleaned. That involves removing the pilot assembly and the pilot tubing from the pilot assembly and cleaning the pilot orifice in front of the pilot tubing, plus cleaning the pilot burner, and reassembling everything.

When a liot burner gets dirty, it's not unusual for it to be hard to light.

Old 01-15-09, 04:47 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I could kiss you. That must have done it. Thank you! It fired right up.

I had though about the orifice before, but I didn't know if the gas line that connected to the assembly was machined on and there is a rather large hood that covers the little hole. At first the jamb nut was a tough one to get open and I still couldn't get any kind of access to the tiny lp orifice. But I just blew on both sides of it and away we go.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: