Carrier 58SSB080-BC Series 120 Gas Furnace-CLICKING

Old 01-15-09, 09:23 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58SSB080-BC Series 120 Gas Furnace-CLICKING

2 years ago, I ordered a draft inducer kit and it worked out fine....

Last year, a new intermittent issue, was when thermostat calls for heat, furnace will make clicking sound (like the relays are clattering), and the circuit board to the right of the inducer motor has wires plugged onto the right side (wire harness), that when wiggled, will stop the clattering, the inducer motor will spin up and furnace will start. (I replaced the ignition coil, was not that)

I placed a wedge/shim behind the plug, and it worked for 2 weeks.

Then again, intermittent clattering, inducer fan fails to start, so I "wiggle" that plug/harness where I place the wedge, and it starts.

I'd assumed I needed a new board &/or harness, which I ordered and replaced last year, and everything was well until about 1-2 weeks ago (Jan 2009). (HH84AA007-Hamilton Test Systems 742-0004-490 is the info on the circuit board, replacement circuit board is P/N HH84AA021).

I also considered and did also replace that diaphragm on the top of that board also (Tridelta FS6001-248, p/n HK08WC070).

So, additionally, prior to all of that, the service tech replaced the igniter coil, whether or not it was necessary was questionable.

Additionally, the main control board was replaced for the heck of it.

For all intents and purposes, practically rebuilt, like new, right?

Well this year in the beginning of the heating season (NJ/October), all was OK for a few weeks, then I heard a 'slapping' almost like maybe the draft inducer motor had slop, or the cage might be a hair loose (Allen screw), but I just let it be. Each time the thermostat called for heat, I'd hear loud click from the thermostat (RiteTemp 8082C) and then it sounded like a slap that resonated in the duct work, the inducer motor would start, then the furnace, heat got satisfied, cycled down normally.

However, almost a year to the day this year/now, the dreaded 'relay clicking' has returned from that circuit board I replaced (HH84AA021), in such that when the thermostat calls for heat, the clicking is prolonged, stopped, normal cycles, etc. thereafter. This happens each time the furnace calls for heat. It has started to become more obvious and louder, giving me the impression that it'll fail soon.

Therefore I ordered a 2nd replacement board, but what would be happening to make it fail so soon? 24V/AC transformer flaky? Thermostat issues? (I truly was considering putting back the Honeywell round manual thermostat just to see..... the RiteTemp has been installed also for 2+ years).

I'll eventually replace the entire system, as it's 25+ years old, but until that time, I'd like to get a possible reason as to why the board would fail so soon?

Anyone?

Old 01-16-09, 12:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hey, guruuno---

Sorry to hear tell about your tale of woe.

Unfortunately, I'm going to take a pass on this as likely being too complicated a problem to unravel in a forum like this.

It would take a lot of careful testing and measuring to investigate the various problems you report, and I can't really direct you to do that. I found an installation manual for this furnace on the internet, but no circuit diagram.

I remember working on this furnace, distinguished by the separate inducer motor circuit board. But I can't remember the details of the circuit in the years since I've worked on this model.

Perhaps someone else will be a manly man instead of a hopeless wuss and help you fix the problem----

Old 01-16-09, 06:00 AM
G
Diagram

I have the circuit diagram if it helps.

Old 01-28-09, 12:22 PM
D
can someone pm me the diagram or any other relevant information regarding this issue...I believe I have the same problem.

Old 01-28-09, 12:45 PM
Hey Demian---

I'd suggest starting a new thread. Trying to deal with two problems in the same thread rapidly becomes confusing.

Old 01-28-09, 12:50 PM
Posting the circuit diagram or a link to it would be helpful.

Old 01-28-09, 05:12 PM
E
Originally Posted by guruuno View Post
.....furnace will make clicking sound (like the relays are clattering), and the circuit board to the right of the inducer motor has wires plugged onto the right side (wire harness), that when wiggled, will stop the clattering, the inducer motor will spin up and furnace will start. .....I placed a wedge/shim behind the plug, and it worked for 2 weeks.

Then again, intermittent clattering, inducer fan fails to start, so I "wiggle" that plug/harness where I place the wedge, and it starts.

I'd assumed I needed a new board &/or harness, which I ordered and replaced last year, and everything was well until about 1-2 weeks ago (Jan 2009).
In your past paragraph I quoted - I need to know if you just got the new board - or harness also. Does the plug of the harness contain these round prongs/pins, as opposed to spade connections? If yes, and you did not replace that plug, and only replaced the board, it is possible that the prongs/pins in that jack are not making good contact at all times, even if the plastic jack itself feels snug. IF it indeed has those prongs/pins, you should be able to spread the male prongs/pins open a hair so that when you plug it back in, you get better contact between the male and female.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: