oil primary control failing

Old 01-16-09, 10:37 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy oil primary control failing

I have a 15 year old Lenox oil furnace with a Becket burner that has worked fine. This year I added a heat pump to the heating system with the oil furnace as back up. While setting up the burner on the oil furnace the burner stopped working and would not restart, the primary R8184G did not trip but was not letting the burner fire. I replaced the primary and the burner fired right up no problem, about 15 minutes into setting up the burner again the burner stopped again and again the primary is not tripped. I haven't run into this before. Does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think is that the blower or ignition transformer is drawing too much current.

Old 02-08-10, 09:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Similar problem.

I have a Wesco oil furnace with a Wayne model 30 burner, and a R8184G4000 primary controller. The burner fires and runs for a few minutes then shuts off before the fan comes on. I have lowered the fan on set point and raised the fan off setpoint within the limits. The controller is not tripping just shutting off. I know there is a flame (visual verification). I have replaced the fan/limit controller, the ignition transformer, and burner motor over the past few years so everything is nearly new. The Cd cell is the next item to check.
Have you verified flame? That is the primary function of the R8184G controller. If you find a fix please let me know and I will do the same.

Old 02-08-10, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Primary Control

Rusky: I am presuming the oil fired furnace provides the air circulation for the system. If so, I suspect there is a low voltage wiring problem causing the transformer from the heat pump to take out the one in the R8184. Did you install a fossil fuel kit when the heat pump was added? Fossil fuel kits usually have isolation relays to prevent such things.

Dennis: In your case I suspect there may be an auxilary limit shutting down the burner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: