Problems with Arcoliner

Old 01-18-09, 01:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problems with Arcoliner

Lets see i purchased a house about 2 years ago, and it came with an Arcoliner Furnace, now i dont know to much about his stuff, but i will give you the best info i have.

Live in Northern Virginia, warm summers, and cold winters, recently single digit temps. It is an American Standard, Arcoliner W-0-55, Series 4B-J4. Now the basic problem is it burns oil like someone is stealing the oil. About 2 weeks ago, we purchased about 100-150 gallons of heating oil, dont remember exactly. today the heater stoped working, went out checked the level, and nothing, empty, we barely turn the heat above 65, and the thermostat stays below 55 when we dont have a fire going, which is almost all the time. It is a rambler, 2 floors.it has the baseboard heaters. I just want to know if anyone has/had one of these, if anyone has an owners manual for this furnace, and any suggestions. would be great, i mean i know its old, and will be renovating this furnace within the next 5 years hopefully not any sooner.

Old 01-20-09, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Arcoliner

That boiler is probably at least 40 years old. With equipment that old, it's going to suck oil. The boiler is probably at least twice as large as you need, just to add insult to injury. There are a lot of things you can do to tighten up the house & reduce heat loss. The simplest & cheapest is to add insulation to the attic & floor.

Old 01-20-09, 06:21 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do the baseboards get all nice and hot as they should?

Or is there any reason to think you may be paying for trying to heat water in a basement boiler and a lot of air in the pipes, where then a lot of the heat is wasted up the chimney - trying to heat water in the boiler where it just stays there to cool down until the next call for heat comes along.

Similarly, if a circulator pump stopped working and you did not know it, and it is primarily heating the convectors on convection only and causing shorter cycling of the furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: