cycling too often

Old 01-19-09, 08:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
cycling too often

Hi. Been in this forum before. I live alone in a mobile home (newer, pretty well insulated) Anyway a year ago I installed a Honeywell RTH230B Programmable thermostat and have it programmed to my liking. (BTW - heater is a Coleman Evcon propane forced air unit) Anyway I was home this weekend and I noticed it seemed to be cycling too often so I got out the instructions and I reprogrammed the hourly cycle down to 3 (although instructions say 4 is optimal) just as experiment. I haven't timed it with a stopwatch but it seems to be much more often. Anyway I am home today so I had to take it out of it's normal programmable cycle. I set it for 69. Well I happened to be paying attention and it kicked on the cycle. The temp was ALREADY 69 (via the thermostat reading itself). I don't think it should have triggered. I think the therm may be faulty. P.S. when I first bought this a year ago I had to take back as it triggered the blower immediately and not letting the blower control circuit turn on blower. This drove the unit nuts

Old 01-19-09, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diybarbs
I noticed it seemed to be cycling too often so I got out the instructions and I reprogrammed the hourly cycle down to 3 (although instructions say 4 is optimal) just as experiment. I haven't timed it with a stopwatch but it seems to be much more often.
On an avg, it should run about 15 to 20 min then shut down, but if your furnace is ovesized, it may cause this to cycle often.

What the mode # of the furnace and size of the home?

Also, I know some vents in these homes are smack next to the t-stat wall, and the t-stat can get a false reading from the vent near by.

I set it for 69. Well I happened to be paying attention and it kicked on the cycle. The temp was ALREADY 69I don't think it should have triggered.
Honeywell temps are tight, and you don't see the .tenth of a degree reading the screen.. An example. 68.1 degrees. HOneywell give you a better comfort with less of a temp swing, and that's why they do the CPH.

Old 01-19-09, 11:08 AM
D
Honeywell too often

Thanks for the reply Jay (I realize I am actually in the wrong forum - not the first time) Anyway heater is a Coleman Evcon DGAT056BDF. PROPANE. According to manual Input 56,000 BTUH - Output 46,000 BTUH. I live in a Champion 14 x 54 manufactured home. Heater is original equipment so I would asssume they know what they are doing. There are no vents in the walls but there is an output vent below therm and 2 feet to left. Vent is through floor and therm is up on wall approx 4 ft. There is actually a speaker in a straight line in-between . I don't think this would affect it kicking ON. Can the "tightness" be adjusted in these things or is there another brand that doesn't have such a fine control. I still think it cycled more than 3 times after I set it. If it is actually doing what it is supposed to will the heater itself suffer any ill effects?

Old 01-19-09, 12:06 PM
heater is aDGA Coleman Evcon DGAT056BDF. PROPANE. According to manual Input 56,000 BTUH - Output 46,000 BTUH. I live in a Champion 14 x 54 manufactured home.
It is oversized, and they are known to do that for MH. But nothing you can do for now.

there is an output vent below therm and 2 feet to left. Vent is through floor and therm is up on wall approx 4 ft. There is actually a speaker in a straight line in-between . I don't think this would affect it kicking ON.
That's is close enough to "trick" the t-stat. I used to have the issue with mine with my last home, and I sealed that vent shut, and the issue was gone.

Can the "tightness" be adjusted in these things or is there another brand that doesn't have such a fine control.
Try closing off that vent near the t-stat, and see what happens, and you can lower the CPH and see what happens. try 2.

If it still does the on and off, is the "flame" on the t-stat stays on or is it going off as well?

Old 01-20-09, 04:50 PM
D
cycling

I will try closing the vent although that is my main LR vent. It seems to possibly be working OK now although I will keep an eye on. When it cycles it is a normal cycle that includes a flame (heating) icon, it doesn't just click on and off. It is just that I felt it was kind of too often

Old 01-20-09, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Closing heating vents is probably not to be recommended, especially with an oversized furnace. This might well cause the furnace to start overheating, and could lead to problems heating the home especially in cold weather.

Moving the thermostat to a different location might be worth considering.

Old 01-24-09, 07:55 AM
D
cycling too often

FYI I was lying in bed this morning and I heard the heater cycle. It was off maybe 5 minutes when there it went again. I can explain this one. I have it set to raise the temp at 8:00AM and it happened to be 8:00AM so it was just doing it's job. It just happened that 8:00 AM occurred at the end of a previous cycle. Here is the problem. Exactly 8 minutes later it kicked again. This shouldn't happen. I don't think the vent being near the thermostat would be the problem as the vent would make the therm think it is WARMER AND KEEP IT FROM KICKING. I have a feeling the therm has an intermittent problem> I may try buying another one (maybe different brand) and trying it

Old 01-24-09, 08:05 AM
What I would do is turn the thermostat up to 80 degrees or so and see if the furnace stays lit and operates continuously and reliably.

Using vague language like "kicking" doesn't help to understand what is happening. Does that mean that the furnace burners are shutting off?

I'd turn the thermostat all the way down until the furnace shuts off completely. take the front cover off the furnace.

Then turn the thermostat up to eighty degrees and observe and report on the ignition sequence and if the burners and fan continue to run continuously for, oh --- twenty minutes or so. A half hour if you think it hasn't been staying lit reliably.

Old 01-24-09, 09:21 AM
D
kicking

sorry for the vague language. By kicking I mean that a NORMAL firing sequence is being initiated. When I am in the LR and paying attention I hear a little "tick" from the therm which I assume is the trigger command to start the sequence. Then I hear some kind of pump running for a moment or so and then I hear the burner fire. Minute or so after that the blower kicks on and runs for 5 or so minutes. I feel as though the "sequence" is perfect but it is being told to do it too often.
I have an idea to bounce off of you. These therms are "tight" as was suggested. That is why there is a "number of cycles" adjustment. They are basically on a timer and when the time is up it reads temp and if needed triggers the firing sequence. Could the therm be triggering by temp only? Maybe even along with cycle adjustment. (Defective) That might explain why I notice it more while I am in bed. The Therm is in LR. When I am in bed the temp will fluctuate more because there is nothing else to generate heat like my body or cooking, etc so it will try to maintain and cycle more. Just a thought

Old 01-24-09, 09:27 AM
D
kicking

I am sure you are thinking what I am thinking. Either get another one or re-hook up the original (got it right here). I just figured I would use the forum to my advantage.

Old 01-24-09, 10:05 AM
Sorry I can't help you barbs. You don't want to investigate the problem in an organized way that I can understand, so I'll leave you to follow your own theories and methods.

Old 01-24-09, 10:50 AM
Barb,

Like DIY said, turn up teh temp setting all the way up and see if the furance stays on the whole time, or if it cycle on and off.

Old 01-24-09, 01:37 PM
D
80 degrees

Sorry about that. Sometimes I do have my own way of doing things.
Anyway I turned up to 80 degrees. Therm clicked. The pump (or whatever that is) started to run. Then the flame started followed by the blower a moment later. Flame stayed lit and blower kept running until temp reached 80 then flame went out and blower ran for another 2 minutes or so. The total run time from when I turned the therm to 80 to turn it on, to when the blower turned off was 16 minutes

Old 01-24-09, 05:58 PM
From what temp reading did you have before you turned it up to 80˚?

Outdoors temp?

Old 01-25-09, 09:06 AM
D
reading

I believe it was reading 69. Outdoors at time was in low 40s

Old 01-25-09, 09:51 AM
S
your touching it ttoooooooo much just your hand on it adds heat to the stat reading....walking past it,cooking in the kitchen,having friends over,the sun swinging on the trailer.things to check....is the the stat mounted on an interior/exterior wall,is there a draft coming out of the hole where the wires come into the subbase,there should be no forced air opposite or near the stat only your return air.the setting on the stat satisfies when the room reaches temperature which actually is the return air running on the last cycle.the most importnt thing on a electronic stat is it anticipates the temperature of the space 60F/SLEEPprior to the 68F/WAKE up setting and cycles accordingly to be at that temp at that time you set.for a more consistant controlling of that furnace relocate the stat nose/eye level height above the return grill

Old 01-25-09, 08:44 PM
I believe it was reading 69. Outdoors at time was in low 40s
I'll say that furnace is way oversized if it can heat the house 11˚ in 15 minutes!

I am going to rule out the t-stat. The system is way oversized, and you could look into the RiteTemp stat that has a temp swing settings.

Old 01-26-09, 02:10 PM
D
cycling

Sorry for being a pain and doing things my own way. I don't know about the oversized but it could be. I believe you don't get the BTU's from Propane like you do Natural Gas. However here is what I did. I turned the therm down to 2 cycles per hour as experiment. I went into the bedroom and laid down to read and do my crosswords. I heard the heater go on and do it's thing and then shut off. I timed it....12 minutes later it clicked on. I came out and looked at temp and it was reading 69 where I set it. Whether I touched it too much or whether it doesn't show decimals, or any other reason should it have cycled that soon (Either by time or temp) No way. Anyway I yanked it off the wall and reinstalled the original mechanical box thermostat. My fault for trying to be fancy. Thanks guysBeer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: