Older GE furnace has a loud boom after furnace kicks on or off.

Old 01-20-09, 05:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Older GE furnace has a loud boom after furnace kicks on or off.

I have lived in this house for 30 years and the furnace is old. I know you would say it is time to replace it. But I have been out of work and have very low funds to take on such a project. I have did well with fixing appliances around the house. The furnace has always worked great until this year, when it started backfiring with a higher flame.

Old 01-20-09, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Honestly, this sounds dangerous enough that I'd recommend you get a professional out there right away. It could be your gas pressure is too high or some other problem. This type of problem is best left to the pro's. Erratic combustion is not something to be fooled with.

Old 01-20-09, 08:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So what's the make and model of your furnace --- that can be obtained from the rating plate inside the furnace.

"Backfiring" is probably what's called delayed ignition, when not all the burners are lighting reliably, allowing gas to accumulate in one or more heat echangers until it finally gets touched off ---- boom!

And please describe what you mean by "a higher flame"? What are you seeing that causes that description?

Old 01-20-09, 04:55 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
May have type of burners with slits in them - and many may be clogged shut with rust and ?. I had one where I fixed up a lady with your exact problem not that long ago. Terrible delayed ignition bang and terrible flame patterns before I cleaned it with a furnace or boiler cleaning steel brush on a long flexible handle. This is the place to start. If that was not it, then a sticky gas valve could be suspect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: