Quietest Gas Furnace Brand?

Old 01-20-09, 09:26 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quietest Gas Furnace Brand?

Hi.

What brands offer the quietest Gas Furnaces? I am relocating our 5-Ton air/heat HVAC system to the attic and am shopping for a quiet gas furnace in the 90% efficiency.

Ideal furnace I am looking for is quiet and has 2 stage heat, variable speed blower.

Last edited by joe1234; 01-20-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like you'd want to look into 2 state or multi stage furnace.

A 2 stage furnace has a low and a high heat output and a low and high fan speed to match. Most of the season the low setting keeps the house warm. During the coldest days, the higher heat input and fan speed kick in.

Multi stage furnaces act similarly, except they can be continuously variable to match the heating needs of the house with the outside temperature.

The idea here is that by matching the input with the amount of heat needed to heat the home efficiency is maximized and fan speed (which tends to be strongly related to noise) is minimized.

So you might want to ask about those types of furnaces. 2 stage and especially multistage furnaces are more expensive, more complicated and the parts cost more should they need to be replaced.

I have a certain bias towards furnaces made by Carrier --including their brand names Bryant, Payne and Day and Night. Because they are so common, repairman are more likely to be able to repair them and to carry the parts needed to repair them on their trucks. On the other hand, heating contractors in your area might sell a lot of another manufacturer's brand.

So when shopping, I'd ask about 2 stage and continuously variable condensing furnaces and see what local contractors have to offer.

In my opinion, the two things to look for in a contractor are 1)honesty and 2) competence. See if you can get recommendations from friends, neighbors, relatives and co-workers for heating contractors who have been honest and competent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: