Lennox G40UH Inducer Motor Issues

Old 01-23-09, 09:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lennox G40UH Inducer Motor Issues

After my Lennox G40uH furnace was making a high pitched squealing sound, I decided to call a repair shop to check it out. They told me my inducer motor was going bad and that it would be $1000 to fix. So, I got the parts for $220 off of CozyParts. Needless to say, the repair shop didn't even take the time to clean it out or suggest it. I didn't learn that until I came here.

I'm fairly handy but I wanted to confirm a couple of things. When replacing the old combustion inducer motor, obviously, I shut off the electric. Do I also shut off the main gas supply? Not sure if that's needed or not. If so, once I replace the motor, I turn the power back on, turn the gas valve back on, do I need to do anything else?

Otherwise, this looks to be pretty easy. Any advice? Tips?

Thanks much.

Old 01-23-09, 04:10 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You do not have to turn off the gas. The gas valve will not open with the power off. Straight forward remove/replace job.

Old 01-23-09, 05:23 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
when you shut the toggle on the side of the furnace that secures the gas valve and the electric.

Old 01-23-09, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm presuming you got the inducer motor assembly which includes a new fan wheel as well as the motor. That generally makes replacing the inducer assembly a pretty easy job.

Sorry to hear your repair outfit tried to gouge you unconscionably for this easy job, but at least it's a safe bet that the motor needed to be replaced.

I'd shop around among friends, neighbors, relatives and co-workers for an honest and competent repair service for the next time you need help. Call them in July or August and have them come out and do any needed maintenance work needed on the furnace ---- DIY doesn't work well for maintenance needed on furnaces. Then keep their phone number posted on the furnace so it will be available the next time you need help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: