oil burning furnace will not light. please help

Old 01-24-09, 02:59 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil burning furnace will not light. please help

ok here is what happened. The tank ran out of oil. I ended up putting about 20 gallons of diesel in it since I could get the oil company to come out. I could not get any fuel to bleed out of the pump after that. After inspecting everything I decided the fuel pump was bad and replaced it. After that I was able to bleed it off. It ran great for a few hours and then it stopped working. There was no air in the system. I figured it was a bad filter due trash possibly getting in there when it ran out. I could not find a element for the filter so I just replaced the entire thing with a newer screw on filter assembly. I bleed out the air at the pump and the furnace still does not light up. what could the problem now?

by the way it is an intertherm model #9250290

Old 01-24-09, 03:09 PM
Could be a number of things. Do you have spark? Is the nozzle clean? It may be plugged and need replaced. Are the electrodes clean? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to read fuel pressure? Usually when tanks run out of oil a lot of sludge will get in the lines and ruin a filter and if it gets past the filter it will plug up the pump and nozzle.

Old 01-24-09, 03:12 PM
S
how would i go about checking those things. It seems I got good flow to the pump when I try to bleed it off. so I don't think that the line is clogged.

Old 01-24-09, 03:36 PM
I can tell you how to check them but I must warn you checking spark can be dangerous so be careful. Flip open the black transformer to reveal two springs. These are the transformers outputs. They put out 10,000 Volts with enough amperage to due harm so very carefully hold a screwdriver on one spring and inch it over to the other spring and watch to make sure there is a good one inch or more of spark. You will have to remove one of the F F wires on the control in order for the burner to start when the transformer is flipped open. Make sure to due this quickly because oil will still be pumping into the combustion chamber. After you do this shut off the unit. If you have spark then remove copper fuel line going into burner and take off nut holding nozzle assembly and lift and slide out nozzle. The nozzle may be very black on the end and have black deposits on it indicating it needs replaced. The electrodes are porcelain and fragile. They need to be cleaned and don't move them out of position because it is very critical that they be in the correct position in order for the fuel to ignite. You won't be able to check the fuel pressure without the proper gauge. You will probably be better off calling a fuel oil tech to come out and do a "tune up" on it for you because a bad burning oil furnace can plug the heat exchanger and soot up your house causing lots of damage.

Old 01-25-09, 08:40 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Wow... do you really think it's good advice to tell a homeowner to short a 10,000 volt transformer with a screwdriver? Someone is gonna get killed...

Mods oughta fix this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: